What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Largest individual part in the RV-14A kit

StressedOut

Well Known Member
I need to size a spray booth for priming my parts and I'm trying to determine what is the largest part in the airframe kit.

A quick review of the plans and it seems to be either the main spars, the top outboard wing skin or aft fuse top side skin in the tail cone.

I see that the main spars are already clear anodized, so perhaps that's good enough and priming isn't necessary.

I have the empennage kit, so I can get the measurements on that myself. How long/wide are the other parts?

If by large you mean, length, the HS spar is the longest other than the wing spar which is anodized and does not need priming. The HS spar is a bit longer than 11' if I remember correctly.

The longest part that needs to be primed is the wing rear spar at 117". The HS spars are almost as long at about 114".

Thanks for the information everybody. It looks like I need a footprint of 14' X 6' for my booth.

I'm building in half of a two car garage because I have to keep my car in there as well. However, I can move it out during the daytime and use that space for my spray area. My big challenge is to design this booth to be stored in as small a space as possible as well as quick and easy to assemble and disassemble.

PVC pipe and plastic sheeting with one or two box fans and a liberal amount of Velcro seems to be the way to go.

Back