What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Offset v stab

DeltaVee47

Hi all
I noticed that my rudder/vstab was offset to the left by about 1/2 inch after completion. I sent a pic to Vans with a query but got nothing back. My fault for not following up but I had my first tech counselor visit today so I pointed this out and he said he did not think this was acceptable. I would post a photo but this exceeds my current skill level. Anyone with opinions?
Thanks in advance
Greg Beckner
140366. Currently finishing wings.
N557GB

Not sure what you mean when referencing the rudder, but if you're talking about the offset to the left at the point that where the fwd VS spar bolt attaches, I think that is intentional (it is shown in the plans). In my experience, most previous RV models have tended to need a bit of right rudder trim in cruise. Offsetting the LE of the VS to the left will help provide a bit of nose-right correction and hopefully negate the need for a trim tab to keep the ball centered in cruise.

The offset of the Vertical Stabilizer is built in - that why the hole in the front bracket (VS-01402) is offset. From Plans page 11-07:

When the Vertical Stabilizer front spar is attached, the leading edge of the Vertical Stabilizer is offset slightly to the left, causing the rear spar
to twist. The single washer shown in Figure 2 and Figure 3 between the Vertical Stabilizer and the Aft Fuselage accommodates for this twist.

Last edited:
This is exactly the response I was hoping for. Basically this slight deviation of the v stab to the left is built in right rudder. To counteract p force? Now I see that I did not read the manual close enough. Thanks to Turnerb.
Anyway thanks.
Greg

This is exactly the response I was hoping for. Basically this slight deviation of the v stab to the left is built in right rudder. To counteract p force? Now I see that I did not read the manual close enough. Thanks to Turnerb.
Anyway thanks.
Greg

I'm just contributing in the way so many on this forum have helped me. Czechsix had it right - it's compensating for p-factor in cruise. BTW I've drilled out many a rivet from not reading the plans closely enough!!

I think, strictly speaking, P factor is zero in cruise if the nose is level. I think the term is "spiral slipstream".

Back