What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

finishing details #2

Reach in through the air inlet and pull a wire out of a piano hinge?
Stewart Willoughby, 6,wiring

Works off oil pressure, when engine stops due to no oil the door opens to let you know you need to add some.

Stewart had the answer. It is a piano hinge with a wire that you pull from the front inlet. A fun little project that has nice clean lines.

Stewart had the answer. It is a piano hinge with a wire that you pull from the front inlet. A fun little project that has nice clean lines.

Looks nice Tom. Now that you're flying, does this method keep the oil door perfectly flush to the cowl in flight? On my -8A I installed a flush push-button type latch which was easy to use and looked nice, but in flight the door would bulge out a bit due to the differential pressure. Not a real problem but it annoyed me nonetheless. One benefit to Vans stock method is that the two 'wingnut' camlocks securely fasten the corners of the oil door and keep it more tightly shut in flight, but doesn't look as nice as a flush assembly...

more pics

It would be great to see some pics from the "business" side. :)

I've just installed my oil door with a pair of hartwell latches, and I can't say I'm really delighted with it - seems like a heck of a lot of hardware to keep a little door closed.

Vans-RV8-Oil-Door-with-hartwell-latches-e1506882714718-1024x1024.jpg

Back