VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-16-2016, 11:15 AM

Default Thanks Mother Nature. . . I think!

After reading many of your posts on this thread, I did not think there would ever come a day when I would be posting here. After all, I typically fly around 160-170 MPH TAS in cruise. That is a far cry from reaching 200 KTS. Even ground speeds do not usually get me close. Well, last week I had an opportunity to see what it is like to get up to these speeds.

Courtesy of a High rotating in one direction and Low rotating in the other direction the two fronts were squeezing the air right over Oklahoma. It turns out I had to make a flight on the very day this was going on last week. I had to fly from OKC almost directly in the same direction as the screaming prevailing winds. The photo below is of the EFIS and Garmin Pilot during cruise on this flight. The lighting was not ideal but hopefully you can see enough of the details. 182 MPH TAS (158 KTS), Winds 324/101 MPH (88 KTS), Tailwind component 79 MPH (69 KTS), Ground speed 234 KTS, Fuel Flow 6.8 GPH that equated to around 40 MPG! The flight was only 132 nautical miles but made it in less than 40 minutes.

Of course as everyone knows, there are no free rides. I had to return the next day and the winds were only slightly slower and in the same direction. Which meant I would have just about as strong a headwind as I had tailwind the previous day. I first tried to stay down low (2500 MSL) in hopes of avoiding the strong headwinds. It only took a couple of minutes of pounding my head on the canopy to decide that was not such a good idea. So up I went into the headwinds. I escaped the turbulence around 8500 but soon encountered some clouds so I went on up to 10.5K for the remainder of the flight. The 132 nautical miles that took 40 minutes the previous day took 1.5 hours on the return trip.

Never thought it could happen flying my 9A but here it is. I have joined the club!

Live Long and Prosper!
Live Long And Prosper! 🖖🏻
Old 02-18-2016, 06:47 AM

Wink

Ok,

Here's one with none of that high altitude, tailwind assisted, groundspeed nonsense...

This is 202 knots INDICATED (on the way to 211), level flight, at -80 feet MSL.

Sorry for the horrible picture, but I did not have time to properly compose the shot - kinda busy at the time.

Location was Death Valley while conducting flight test on my new dual CPI ignition.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson

Last edited by Toobuilder : 02-18-2016 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toobuilder View Post
Ok, Here's one with none of that high altitude, tailwind assisted, groundspeed nonsense...
Yes, I am not worthy! I flew on the good graces of Mother Nature. Even so, it was fun! Flying in my lowly 9 in the realm of the likes of all you Rocket pilots out there. Gives me a momentary taste of being able to fly like a Rocket pilot. Probably the same if you were to make it to the realm of jet jockey in your world.

Perspective is the master of reality!
Old 02-18-2016, 11:31 AM

Thumbs up

The "nonsense" comment was not aimed at you Steve - this whole thread is using mother nature to advantage; nor was it intended with any air of superiority.

Shown just as a contrast for fun - after all, how often do you get to fly below sea level at 200 knots?

Would have liked your fuel burn though - the picture above took 25+ GPH!
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
Old 02-18-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toobuilder View Post
Would have liked your fuel burn though - the picture above took 25+ GPH!
Yes, looking at the perspective of speed in context of the energy output required (of the machine I built) to get to that point is indeed part of the fun.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:52 AM

Default I have now joined...... :-)

On the way to Lakes Entrance with my father..

35Kt tailwind saw us at 210 kts....

Only able to capture 209kts...

Although it shows 100ft decent rate it was straight and level. The second shot verifies with ascent and 207kts....

very quick flight :-)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/86deq7ivy3...21838.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pzq3786lfi...21817.jpg?dl=0
RV10: Happy little Vegemite :-)
Feb 2015: Now fully functional..... and quick

http://www.ozrv10.com
Old 07-17-2016, 06:51 PM

Default 300+ mph, RV-6 Race 411 N790DW

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=n3oric&s=9

Yes, that is 300 mph.
Yes, that is 7.6 gph.

My best GS, sustained for over an hour, enroute KENW to KGRD Saturday April 2, 2016. Winds stayed strong the next day when I posted my best race speed of 243.42 mph for the 2016 400 mile Sunshine Express air race, KGRD to Winter Haven FL.

Last edited by jcbarnes1 : 12-22-2017 at 01:18 PM. Reason: use tinyurl
Old 10-17-2016, 10:17 PM

The weather was too bad to get into Petit Jean so on to Plan B for my wife's Birthday, Santa Fe for the weekend!

We had a great time and really enjoyed the Fall weather - especially since Fall in Texas is still 90 degrees!

Strong headwinds there on Friday but we got a good push coming home on Sunday. MP of 20.1 and 2200 RPM and we were at 207 kts g/s at 9500 ft. A little bumpy so apologize for the off center picture. If it was smoother I would have seen what the max speed was! This was near Las Vegas NM.

3:19 to get there, 2:39 to get back (470nm)

Sorry we missed the gathering but had a great time in Santa Fe!

RV-10 N331JH 3rd owner (First flew in 2005, #15 flying)
Northwest Regional 52F
Old 03-21-2017, 10:59 AM

Default one more member....just NOT me!!!

so my RV-9a, 150 hp, finally joins the 200 kt club!!!

.....I just wish I were the pilot!

famous world rounder Dave McElroy is ferrying with new owner Laurie Doering to Hamilton, and catching a wee tailwind on the way!
Lake Country, BC

....paid up til Nov. 2018
Old 03-21-2017, 02:47 PM