- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2017, 08:12 AM

Default Insulating rear bulkhead

Guys,
I am sure this has been discussed and I am not searching under the proper heading.

I need to insulate the corrugated panel aft of the baggage compartment. Does anyone have a nice solution to filling the "Vs" without cutting individual slices of foam?

Thanks

Drippy
Old 02-08-2017, 08:26 AM

I couldn't find any online photos of my RV-10, but it's very similar to what Geoff Combs did in his.

It's basically two pieces of fiberboard. The bottom one is covered with carpet. I also have Geoff's interior panels and carpet installed too. The carpet then is a uniform look with the carpet on the lower side of the baggage area. The top piece is covered in leather with experimental embroidered. The sides are tight with the side panels. This stops any drafts coming through the bulkhead.

It's not really insulation, but I don't think it's needed. This cosmetic upgrade is more than adequate. I fly quite often when it's below freezing. Being cold has never been an issue.

Old 02-08-2017, 02:03 PM

I bought some aluminum backed felt from Spruce, then cut small strips. They compress enough that they can be forced into the V's against the bulkhead. Stopped the draft.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:31 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

However you end up sealing the bulkhead built in leaks, remember the actual bulkhead and former/frame assembly it is bolted to is a structural setup, and needs to remain strong.

I suggest you DO NOT sandwich anything between the bulkhead and the former it bolts to. Just work on the actual "V" notches.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 02-08-2017, 04:41 PM

Default Filling the V

Guys thank you

Thank you for the advice. I have been wondering if I could clamp it to a piece of plywood covered in wax paper and then filling the V's with spray in foam, then putting on a thin layer to protect it.

Anyone try something like that?

Drippy 40644
Old 02-08-2017, 05:48 PM

Sounds like a good idea.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:51 PM

Default one way

I just recently took some fat, like 3/4" weatherstripping foam, cut individual pieces ( not that hard, took 13 seconds!) and stuck them in each 'vee'.
sliced almost flat with the back surface, so there would be a tiny bit of 'crush' on the foam when mounted, and.........you're done.
invisible, $5, took 10 minutes.

..gained about 3 kts at least!
Lake Country, BC

....paid up til Nov. 2018
Old 02-08-2017, 08:28 PM

I just did my RV-14 bulkhead this week. I used some 1/2 or 3/4" round weatherstrip, just glued in place in the "V" with some clear RTV. There will still be a very little bit of gap, but you can either leave it or seal it with the same RTV. I let it set up a short time before installing the bulkhead wall. Took it back out tonight and looked at it. Should cut down on some of the cold air coming in.

Now, that said, I did NOT seal off every single one of the corrugations. The reason is, with the high flow available with the air vents, you're going to need somewhere for the air to go. If you seal the bulkhead completely you're just going to make the air vents less effective because there will be nowhere for the air to go, and the same with the heater vents. If you are going to flow high volumes of hot or cold air in, you're going to need it to exit too. Also, on the RV-10 when in flight, the doors are being sucked out with quite a bit of suction from the airflow over the airframe. If you add some additional air pressure inside, you're going to potentially make that worse also.

So, in short, I would definitely NOT recommend sealing the entire baggage wall, but just seal it enough that you minimize the amount of cold air that will come in from the tail. Keep a pathway for the hot/cold air from the front to exit. There are lots of other little places where the air will leak out, into the wing roots by the aileron pushrods, and places like that, but some people also have bellows on those too.

Just things to think about.
RV-10/14 Transition Training: http://www.RVCFI.com
Old 02-08-2017, 10:35 PM

Well, I'd say 'it depends'. I tried to seal up all the corrigations in the aft bulkhead, but not into the wing nor tunnel. Air and heat come into the cabin fine, and alternate static open shows the cabin below outside pressure. So the air gets out somewhere.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:57 PM

All of you guys that seal up the aft bulkhead, what do you incorporate to let air (vent and heat) out???

If purposely choose to bring air in, you have to have a path to let air out (or it will try and make its own...like door seals, etc.)

If cabin pressure is below static pressure, it is a good indicator of leaking door seals.
Like Tim said, the fuselage sides are curved and have low pressure on the out side.
That is largely the reason for the stock seals (which people love to hate for some reason)... they seal well through a wide range of gap dimension and any slight movement/flex outward of the door in flight.

When people ask me how to fix cold inflow air leaks..... I always tell them to find and seal the outflow leaks.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")

Last edited by rvbuilder2002 : 02-09-2017 at 12:08 AM.