What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Smoking rivet - Green Loctite Q

RV7A Flyer

Well Known Member
Patron
I have a smoking rivet on the bottom of the fuse. I'd like use the green Loctite and let it wick up in the microscopic (to my eyes) hole to stop it, but the fuse is painted (white). Anyone know if the green stuff will stain the paint? (I'd run a test, but it's a giant pain to mix up the touch-up paint bottles I have, as I have them all sealed up to last longer).

TIA!

The green locktite method is generally used for leaking tank rivets, not smoking rivets. Smoking rivets should be replaced since that indicates a loose rivet.

Last edited:
Yeah, but...I really don't want to take out the rivet if I can avoid it. It's leaving a tiny trail, a few inches of very light "smoke", and if I can just lock it in place somehow, I'm good. I'd rather not mess up the paint job, so I'm willing to try non-invasive methods *first*. And it's the only one of the 14,000 rivets on my slow build, so it's not really a question of overall structural integrity (every rivet, and I mean *every* rivet was gauged with a go/no-go gauge when they were driven).

So...anybody know the answer to my original question? Does the green Loc-tite stain the paint, or not?

Loose rivet

Depends on the type of paint but there is a chance it will stain. If you can get to the back side just give it a couple taps with a rivet gun. A layer of masking tape on the rivet set or on the skin will protect the paint.

Don Broussard

RV 9 Rebuild in Progress

Green loctite is code for.....what?

When you all talk about "Green Loctite" what are you talking about? What is the product name?

is it Loctite 290?

And how is it applied to gas tank rivets which leak gas?

Last edited:
Yeah, but...I really don't want to take out the rivet if I can avoid it. It's leaving a tiny trail, a few inches of very light "smoke", and if I can just lock it in place somehow, I'm good. I'd rather not mess up the paint job, so I'm willing to try non-invasive methods *first*. And it's the only one of the 14,000 rivets on my slow build, so it's not really a question of overall structural integrity (every rivet, and I mean *every* rivet was gauged with a go/no-go gauge when they were driven).

So...anybody know the answer to my original question? Does the green Loc-tite stain the paint, or not?

1. Green Loctite will very likely stain your white paint.

2. Green Loctite is not going to fix your problem for very long at all. The "smoke" is a combination of oil and very fine aluminum particles, a result of the very small relative movement of the rivet in the hole. It's not possible to clean all the contaminants out of the hole without removing the rivet, so what little Loctite makes it into the joint will be contaminated, and will not bond well.

Thanks...looks like next time I have the floor panels up (next annual, I suppose, I'll try just a few light taps with a back-rivet set from inside and the big back-rivet bucking bar on the outside (well protected, of course). Sigh.

Back