- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-10-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwranda View Post
Scott,
What brand of vinyl are you using?
3M 1080 vinyl, the color is cosmic blue.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:58 PM

Thanks for sharing OP. Keep up with the info as it progresses. I too want to do vinyl wrap when mine get to that point. Just debating if I want to try to tackle it myself or hire a Pro. So I am following your progress.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackley16 View Post
Thanks for sharing OP. Keep up with the info as it progresses. I too want to do vinyl wrap when mine get to that point. Just debating if I want to try to tackle it myself or hire a Pro. So I am following your progress.
I will be out of town for a few days and then hope to get some test flights done, weather permitting. It might be awhile for the next update, but I will post as progress gets made.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:22 AM

I too decided to wrap rather than paint. Also using the 3M 1080 film. There are a few tricks to learn like when to use heat and when to not along with where to start applying the film when it comes to complex shapes. Overall it's pretty easy and if I don't like it simply peel it off.

Here are a few pictures of my wingtips and ailerons.

2017 Dues Paid
Old 01-11-2018, 07:31 AM

Jason,
What prep did you do on the wing tips before wrapping? Could you jot down some tips you may have that you learned while wrapping the tips and ailerons?
Thanks,
Dave
Dues paid Dec 17
Old 01-11-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwranda View Post
Jason,
What prep did you do on the wing tips before wrapping? Could you jot down some tips you may have that you learned while wrapping the tips and ailerons?
Thanks,
Dave
Make sure the surface is VERY clean. I used 90% isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle and lint free micro-cloths.

Wrapping the tips was done in two pieces. The seem is just on the bottom side of the tips. Use knife-less tape to make an even overlap. Overlaps should be at least 3/8" and follow the airflow.

Wrapping the ailerons and flaps were done with one piece of film. The seem is hidden along the leading edge just behind the rear wing spar.

You might get creases in the film and if that happens pull it off the surface and use a little heat. It's almost like magic the way it disappears. One fun thing to do is take a scrap piece, say 8" x 8", pull the backing off and crumple it up into a ball. Now pull it back flat and apply a little heat. It's like new.

Hope this helps as a start.

2017 Dues Paid
Old 01-11-2018, 11:20 AM

As I understand it, you put the film on bare aluminum?

Jerre
http://webpages.uncc.edu/~hill
http://jerre-hill.blogspot.com
=VAF= dues paid 2018
Old 01-11-2018, 11:44 AM

I'm strongly considering a large vinyl accent graphic in addition to two painted primary colors (white and black).

How easily does the stuff come off if I want to repair or change colors?
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
Old 01-11-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spatsch View Post
I did use the end roll piece approach to vinyl wrapping and had my kids cut them before applying (nice family project ...):

my EAA chapter calls me now patches.... .

In terms of learnings:

- I did learn that it's more difficult to wrap many small pieces of vinyl around a compound curve then one large pieces. ( see by the wrinkles in the picture ). There is just nothing to hold on to on small pieces to stretch the vinyl.

- I have been flying with that cowling now for 2 years and I do think that I have to replace the vinyl. The problem is that on the top of the cowling the vinyl looks good when cold but when hot (after flying on a hot day) I get lots of air bubbles which disappear again when cold. This constant expansion/contraction can't be good for the vinyl.

My problem of course is that I like the design now and painting all those patches is a lot of work ... .

Oliver
Wait a minute... the Partridge Family built an RV?
NOTE: Old guys will get it. Youngin's will have to google it (the bus specifically) LOL
Old 01-11-2018, 12:04 PM

Here is my vinyl project, only things painted are the wing root fairings. The wheel pants are an experiment using scraps, I will redo them at a later date but at ten yards you canít see the seams. Very happy with vinyl.