VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-09-2018, 07:06 PM

Default Wrapping project

Well, not only am I nuts for polishing my aircraft, I also am using vinyl as well. So I started with the easiest component I could find, the oil door. It took about an hour to explore how much the vinyl would stretch / shrink..it will also tear.

All in all it was fairly easy to work with once I got started.

[IMG][/IMG]

More images and comments at:

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/catego...category=12700

The next component is the empennage fairing.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:23 PM

ďThe next component is the empennage fairingĒ
One of the hardest (in my experience) with compound concave curves.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceEicher View Post
“The next component is the empennage fairing”
That is part of the reason I picked it to be next. All part of the learning process. I did spend quite a while developing a plan to wrap it. Start on this edge, make sure this is down first, worry about the bottom edge last...."of mice and men" we shall see how it works out.

Bruce did you use any edge sealer on your edges? If so, which edges and why those edges? I thinking of using it on the edges on the cowling and around the fuel ports.

Last edited by sahrens : 01-09-2018 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahrens View Post
That is part of the reason I picked it to be next. All part of the learning process. I did spend quite a while developing a plan to wrap it. Start on this edge, make sure this is down first, worry about the bottom edge last...."of mice and men" we shall see how it works out.

Bruce did you use any edge sealer on your edges? If so, which edges and why those edges? I thinking of using it on the edges on the cowling and around the fuel ports.
I did use edge sealer on seams along leading edges of wings and wheel pants. Why, wind impact wears the seam. Best though to avoid seams altogether there. More useful for the concave curves is the primer. Paint that to the concave surface of the fairing, but then concider it like contact cement.
FWIW I painted the cowling....good luck.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:20 PM

Default Extra vinyl

To All interested in doing vinyl:
Iíve got tons of end roll pieces and vinyl pieces. 40yrs in the sign business you collect a lot that somewhere you might use it. For those wanting to try putting vinyl on, Iíll send you all the
end pieces you want. Some are up to 48Ē wide but may only be a foot or two in length. The is lots of 2-6Ē stuff. Many different colors. Most all we use is 3M 2mil high performance, so you canít get better quality. Youíll need to get a small roll of transfer tape and a squeegee in order to apply it. There is a myriad of other installation tools you can purchase if you want to go down that road. Iím happy to unload what I have this year for whoever wants to try it, just need you to pay the freight or mail if itís small enough to go in postal
As for me and 40 yrs of it- thereís a place and time for it, not sure Iíd do fairings or a complete yet. Then again if I was racing in Reno and wanted a printed design, Iíd be all over it. Iím just
sticking to good paint and maybe nose, tail art and N numbers in vinyl.
Just need a good address to send to.
Mike
Old 01-10-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RepmikeBrown View Post
To All interested in doing vinyl:
Iíve got tons of end roll pieces and vinyl pieces. 40yrs in the sign business you collect a lot that somewhere you might use it. For those wanting to try putting vinyl on, Iíll send you all the
end pieces you want. Some are up to 48Ē wide but may only be a foot or two in length. The is lots of 2-6Ē stuff. Many different colors. Most all we use is 3M 2mil high performance, so you canít get better quality. Youíll need to get a small roll of transfer tape and a squeegee in order to apply it. There is a myriad of other installation tools you can purchase if you want to go down that road. Iím happy to unload what I have this year for whoever wants to try it, just need you to pay the freight or mail if itís small enough to go in postal
As for me and 40 yrs of it- thereís a place and time for it, not sure Iíd do fairings or a complete yet. Then again if I was racing in Reno and wanted a printed design, Iíd be all over it. Iím just
sticking to good paint and maybe nose, tail art and N numbers in vinyl.
Just need a good address to send to.
Mike
I did use the end roll piece approach to vinyl wrapping and had my kids cut them before applying (nice family project ...):

my EAA chapter calls me now patches.... .

In terms of learnings:

- I did learn that it's more difficult to wrap many small pieces of vinyl around a compound curve then one large pieces. ( see by the wrinkles in the picture ). There is just nothing to hold on to on small pieces to stretch the vinyl.

- I have been flying with that cowling now for 2 years and I do think that I have to replace the vinyl. The problem is that on the top of the cowling the vinyl looks good when cold but when hot (after flying on a hot day) I get lots of air bubbles which disappear again when cold. This constant expansion/contraction can't be good for the vinyl.

My problem of course is that I like the design now and painting all those patches is a lot of work ... .

Oliver
http://www.spatscheck.com/oliver
Old 01-10-2018, 06:38 PM

Default Creative

Oliver,
Iím going to have to print that one for the girls here! Theyíve always wondered what to do with all the scrap vinyl. They usually make a vinyl snowman, but he gets tossed before he gets too big.
The vinyl that didnít bond in pockets that come and go are always there, they just tighten up. Bad part is they will hold moisture. Moisture trapped between the vinyl and cowl isnít a problem, but I donít trust it on my aluminum. Even N numbers and decals get checked often for delamination pockets.
You should get 5-10 yrs life on 3m vinyl depending on how much sun and weather it gets.
Mike
Old 01-11-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spatsch View Post
I did use the end roll piece approach to vinyl wrapping and had my kids cut them before applying (nice family project ...):

my EAA chapter calls me now patches.... .

In terms of learnings:

- I did learn that it's more difficult to wrap many small pieces of vinyl around a compound curve then one large pieces. ( see by the wrinkles in the picture ). There is just nothing to hold on to on small pieces to stretch the vinyl.

- I have been flying with that cowling now for 2 years and I do think that I have to replace the vinyl. The problem is that on the top of the cowling the vinyl looks good when cold but when hot (after flying on a hot day) I get lots of air bubbles which disappear again when cold. This constant expansion/contraction can't be good for the vinyl.

My problem of course is that I like the design now and painting all those patches is a lot of work ... .

Oliver
Wait a minute... the Partridge Family built an RV?
NOTE: Old guys will get it. Youngin's will have to google it (the bus specifically) LOL
Old 01-11-2018, 12:04 PM

Here is my vinyl project, only things painted are the wing root fairings. The wheel pants are an experiment using scraps, I will redo them at a later date but at ten yards you canít see the seams. Very happy with vinyl.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceEicher View Post
ďThe next component is the empennage fairingĒ
Well Bruce I took your advice. After finishing the oil door I was going to wrap the empennage fairing but I decided to have a go at the upper cowling. Moving to a much larger peice of vinyl was a little more difficult than I had imagined. The backing material that is removed is fairly thick and does not want to bend. I was hesistant to remove all the backing for fear the vinyl would stick to itself. It did anyway and much like duck tape, it really sticks. There is a happy place in there somewhere where just enough backing is removed to allow applying the vinyl and removing too much.

All that said about 1/3 of the way into this I knew it was going to get pulled off. The material is relatively strong, it will stretch and it will shrink. It will also tear, especially when heated or over stretched. Long story short I had some small pock marks of damage that I wasn't satisfied leaving on the aircraft. Once that decision was made I just made this a learning project working on technique, how much heat was too much and how to work compound curves.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

You can see I pushed the material too hard. This was after deciding to replace the material.

More at http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displa...g=251985&row=2