What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aerosun Vx inserts

Freightdawg

Well Known Member
We (and by "we" I mean my wife) have the wingtips for our RV-10 cut back and ready for the inserts from AeroLED. The instructions call for using 2x48 inch 5oz bidirectional fiberglass to glass in the inserts. I have searched high and low and can't find anything that matches that description. The closest i've come is 8.7 ounce.

For those of you who have installed the inserts necessary for the -10 and -14, what did you use? And did you use the milled glass in the epoxy?

If you have any other tips or tricks, we (and by "we" I mean we) are open to suggestions.

Thanks.

Jeff

I used the same 4" fiberglass tape that I used on the windscreen fairing - Hesgon 4" - 420 (recommended by Wally Anderson in his Quickbuilding the Quickbuild class). I don't think finding the exact weight fiberglass tape is critical, as this isn't a critical structural joint.

I found that the fit of the glassed in insert wasn't perfect, but was easily smoothed by use of epoxy-micro and some sanding.

I also placed a couple lengths of this same fiberglass tape the length of the wing tips to stiffen them to reduce the chance of flexing with paint cracking from someone leaning on the edge in the future. There is a thread on this here on Vans Airforce.

Back