What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

pour in place foam and epoxy release

Wunderon

Well Known Member
I'm using X-30 pour in place foam for the pant/leg intersections and like it a lot for shaping.

However when I try to tape (and wax) the intersection mold for release, it seems impossible to get a relatively smooth layer of tape on the curves. I'm tempted to just layup directly on the foam but wondered how bad cleaning the foam out of the layup might be later? It's fairly weak stuff (2 LB).

opbmt0.jpg

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Last edited:
I can't directly address that foam, but I've used urethane foam & 'Great Stuff' foam for male molds. One surfacing option is sheetrock mud or spackling compound rubbed into the pores of the foam, then sanded smooth and waxed. Odds should be good that you can peel the fairing off, and at least with the foam I used, it was fairly easy to dig out what doesn't release or is captured (I had some shapes that 'captured' the mold). If you don't already know the trick, you can use compressed air into the edges to help with the release.

Charlie

Back