What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Primer spraying question

Charles in SC

Well Known Member
Is epoxy primer such as PPG DP48 thick? I was told by a paint and body guy that it was kind of like syrup and a large tip was needed to spray it. What size do I need? Also how much psi would I need? I have a gun that I use for spraying contact cement which is pretty thick. I have not done that in a while but it seems like I used about 60 psi.

Not so thick

I've sprayed DPLF and DPLV using a 1.4 setup on a HF gun and using a Devilbis Plus gun also with 1.4. They both sprayed pretty nice. Add some reducer to it. The DPLV is mixed 2:1 paint to hardener and they say another :1 part reducer. The guys at the paint store told me to make it 2 parts reducer and it really sprays out nice that way. PSI depends on the gun. If it is an HVLP gun, you probably don't want much more than 25 or 30 at the inlet with the trigger pulled. They say 10 PSI at the air cap, but you need a special setup to measure that. Try setting your fluid knob to where, if you screwed it in any more, it would just start to lift the trigger at full pull. In other words, don't restrict the fluid. Set the fan at full open and then tighten it up to where it just starts to make the pattern smaller. That's a good starting point for your setup. Play with it from there until you find a setting that works well for you. I haven't used non-HVLP too much so I can't help with that setup.

Ed Holyoke

Is epoxy primer such as PPG DP48 thick? I was told by a paint and body guy that it was kind of like syrup and a large tip was needed to spray it. What size do I need? Also how much psi would I need? I have a gun that I use for spraying contact cement which is pretty thick. I have not done that in a while but it seems like I used about 60 psi.

I have sprayed this years ago and always reduced with some "H.E.T." thinner (recommended by the PPG paint store salesman at the time"....but I've been told that laquer thinner works great for thinning Epoxy paint sold by Summit Racing. For the money, performance, etc.....I'm using Summit Racing for epoxy priming needs I have. I like white because when you are doing inspections or working in tight areas, the white color helps brighten things up. I've sprayed PPG as well as DuPont (now Axalta) products....and both work really well. For most applications and most general guns, a very rough rule of thumb is to thin to the consistency of whole milk.

Back