What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question about dimpling nutplates, upper skin

mturnerb

Well Known Member
I'm a bit confused by instructions in Section 10-29. If I'm interpreting the instructions correctly, I should dimple the nutplate holes in aft part of the F-01475 skin on the opposite side I dimple the rest of the skin. I know that the VS fairing will fit over this area, but can't understand why I would dimple it backwards - wouldn't that put the nutplate on the OUTSIDE of the skin??

Am I misunderstanding the instructions?

Why do you think it says to dimple so the nut plate is outside of the skin? I didn't read it that way. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. It says "dimple flush other side", which would put the nut plate on the inside of the top skin.

Last edited:
Dimple both the holes in the skin, and the rivet holes in the nutplate, so the nutplate nests on the skin dimple. Inward as usual.

Dimple both the holes in the skin, and the rivet holes in the nutplate, so the nutplate nests on the skin dimple. Inward as usual.

Thanks Bob and "MED". The reason I was confused is because figure one shows the "inside" of the skin, and says "dimple" for the nutplate holes, and has then another instruction to "dimple flush other side" that seems to refer to the other holes. Also, in the instructions, the step to dimple the nutplate holes is separate. Just not clearly written. It says the nutplate will be added later but I can't find the step where that happens. Makes it all the more confusing to me.

Edit: I found the later instructions to dimple/rivet the nutplate which makes it clear (in section 12). If Scott reads this hopefully it can be noted to make the instructions a bit more clear on this!

Last edited:
Back