What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Storing mirco-balloons

Lemmingman

Well Known Member
I recently made my first purchase of fiberglass working materials and I have a bag of micro-balloons. The bag contains, what seems like, enough micro for me and my progeny to use for 3 generations. Dispensing it from the bag is like trying to spoon out a water vapor. It is so diaphanous that it flows like a slightly heavier than air gas.

I was wondering if anyone had any bright ideas for storing and dispensing micro? The plastic bag is just not going to work for the long term. Every time I work with it, some amount gets airborne and I try not to get it near my face where I might breathe it in.

I went to the grocery store and bought a few of the larger Tupperware containers. Works great.

Large coffee cans for micro, cabo, and flox. The micro can has its own resident 1/4 cup scoop.

Fill the cans outside. Don't try to pour micro in the shop.

Lexicologists Unite!

I think Gil should receive a special VAF award for using the work diaphanous in a post involving aircraft construction!

I use a plastic Folgers coffee container, and a teaspoon for dipping all of the fillers (micro, cabosil and flox) when I'm mixing it up. I used a large plastic spoon from the kitchen and just carefully transferred the micro from the bag into the container, and wore a dust mask. Did it inside. Way too much wind to do outside. YMMV

I bought a set of 3 plastic cereal containers with flip up dispensing lids. One got appropriated for bird seed, one has flox and the other has micro. I filled them in the garage but wore a dust mask. I generally scoop out the micro with a spoon or a little plastic measuring cup, one of the 30 cc variety.

I use large plastic or glass containers with wide-mouth screw-on lids. Compared to a snap-on lid, they go on gently and don't displace any air or force out any airborne particles.

Bird Seed

I bought a set of 3 plastic cereal containers with flip up dispensing lids. One got appropriated for bird seed, one has flox and the other has micro. I filled them in the garage but wore a dust mask. I generally scoop out the micro with a spoon or a little plastic measuring cup, one of the 30 cc variety.

Dale
How do you sand "bird seed" and epoxy! :D
Sorry, couldn't resist.

I recently made my first purchase of fiberglass working materials and I have a bag of micro-balloons. The bag contains, what seems like, enough micro for me and my progeny to use for 3 generations. Dispensing it from the bag is like trying to spoon out a water vapor. It is so diaphanous that it flows like a slightly heavier than air gas.

I was wondering if anyone had any bright ideas for storing and dispensing micro? The plastic bag is just not going to work for the long term. Every time I work with it, some amount gets airborne and I try not to get it near my face where I might breathe it in.

I use one of these each for the micro and flox. Cheap and found just about anywhere. Bought and stored micro/flox since 2007. Used some micro from it yesterday. All still good.

41xBO-1fdWL.jpg

41xBO-1fdWL.jpg

Back in the 90's, my employer was a very large manufacturer of this type of container so yes I have a stock of engineering samples in the shop (many sizes) including the 64 oz units I use for flox and micro.

They work great. Only caveat is that they will get brittle after many years so be careful opening a very old container so you don't accidentally make a mess when the cup rim or the lid cracks.

I just pour it out of the plastic bag, but always while wearing my 3M dual-cartridge respirator. Those microballoons do get airborne very easily!

old pancake syrup bottles

I wash out a few pancake syrup bottles and use a dedicated funnel to fill. When I want to use I just flip up the pour top and they come out of the 3/8"? hole on the top.

Back