What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Van's fiberglass parts--improved

BruceP

Well Known Member
I recently messed up one of the horizontal stabilizer fiberglass tips and had to order a new one. I also ordered a new rudder tip because I didn't like the way the one I had fit. I got the two new parts this week and installed them this weekend. I cannot believe how much better the new pieces are than the ones I got when I ordered the kits several, probably over 5, years ago. The news ones are finished in a grey while the old ones were white. Whoever is doing the work for them now is doing a great job. I wonder how much better my wing tips might have been with the newer parts...

My -10 fiberglass was exceptional when compared to the -6A from 1998. The -10 wheel pants were near perfect, the wing tips very good and the tail glass varied from Ok to very good. The cowl needed some minor work around the inlets, unlike the -6 cowl where you had to almost rebuild the inlets.

If you can afford it, I would just order all new.

Good to know, I was cussing them just yesterday while cutting up my tail fairing and reglassing it to fit properly.

Glad to hear that! And it's about time!

My empennage tips are circa 1999! Imagine how bad they are! I am going to buy new ones.

My newer empennage fairing was pretty decent right out of the box. I reworked it with a heat gun and used some dry micro on the forward wrap-arounds for the leading edges, but no major surgery required.

I probably should have ordered a new empennage fairing, mine has been a disaster. Had to use the heat gun liberally and even then I had to make many vertical cuts around the forward half along the upper portion that meets the rudder to pull it in. The part at the apex of the rudder was horrible. I have hours and hours of work into it. Had I already not gotten it this far I would definitely have started over had I know the newer pieces were so much better.

I probably should have ordered a new empennage fairing, mine has been a disaster. Had to use the heat gun liberally and even then I had to make many vertical cuts around the forward half along the upper portion that meets the rudder to pull it in. The part at the apex of the rudder was horrible. I have hours and hours of work into it. Had I already not gotten it this far I would definitely have started over had I know the newer pieces were so much better.

I bought one from fairings-etc. I haven't installed it yet, but I'm "storing" it on the fuselage with the HS attached and it fits beautifully. It IS possible to make and sell quality fiberglass...the vendor just has to care enough to do it.

finishing kit order

Ah, I was looking for info on Van's fiberglass. I've heard from several folks that they highly recommend Fairings Etc. If Van's has improved, I don't see the point of doing that then.

I am about to order my finishing kit and would like to hear from anyone that got one recently. If they are still marginal, I would try to order the kit sans fairings.

Doing 2 12's and a 14.

The tip composite is heavier because it seems to have a finish coat on the outside - looks like less pinholes.

Spats - super quality and ultra light.

Cowls the same.

Would be nice to get a comment from Scott on the background to the changes.... hint hint :D

Cowlings very bad

I have not worked on any tips yet, but I'm currently installing the engine cowlings on my-7 and it is awful.
The outside surfaces are very rough and the intrior around the air intakes and the prop openig are really really bad. I have already spent hours sanding to make it better, and I will have to do some fiberglass work to have the top and bottom halves fit at these openings.
I've worked on boats before and if any fiberglass part had been delivered with similar finish it would have been considered totally unacceptable.
The rest of the vans kit however is great...

Mike, are you comparing old Van's vs newer, or comparing to the Fairings-Etc?

I don't see anything wrong with the wingtips or the empennage tips that I got with my kits so far.

Bruce

Doing 2 12's and a 14.

The tip composite is heavier because it seems to have a finish coat on the outside - looks like less pinholes.

Spats - super quality and ultra light.

Cowls the same.

Would be nice to get a comment from Scott on the background to the changes.... hint hint :D

Back