What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy edge masking for fiberglass.

mike newall

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Just finished up the glass on the canopies for the 12's. Used the standard 2 layers of electrical tape and sanded onto the top layer which was fine.

Decided I wanted a better blend so experimented and found that the 3M Platinum plastic masking tape works really well.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company...r-s-Tape-2098-SR/?N=5002385+3291513119&rt=rud

Because it is plastic it gives a really sharp edge, takes the curve well and is durable enough to wet sand directly onto it using 320 to remove the sharp edge left by the electrical tape. I set it back about 1/16" and wet sanded onto it, dried it out and used rattle can spray filler on the glass and onto the tape. Finished really well indeed.

That link doesn't work for me, but I've used the standard blue 3M automotive masking tape. It goes around corners better and seems to stick better than electrical tape. In my experience, electrical tape experiences "spring back" after you stretch it around corners.

Try searching for

3M? Safe-Release? Platinum Painter's Tape

It is the new stuff they released last year or so. In Home Despot, which is where I get it.

Has the advantage of leaving a really crisp edge and also it tears at 90? which is very handy. I was most pleased at it's ability to resist the abrasion of wet n dry.

Back