What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fiberglass for newbie videos

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
Are there any good instructional videos for doing fiberglass work on the horizontal stabilizer and/or vertical stabilizer/rudder. I am working on a RV-14 and have saved up all the fiberglass work until now. I plan to learn on the tail sections then move directly to canopy fairing (I have watched the vans videos on this).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ken

There are a tons of generic videos on YouTube ... I got the West System (on several recommendations) and just started some fiberglass work, it's not scary at all, frankly it's very forgiving and easy to fix mistakes ... I kind of like it!

Last edited:
Being scared of fiberglass is like being scared of girls...you get over it.

Vans

Check the Vans website. I used their RV14 videos to do my canopy fairing and it came out most excellent.

Just wondering how to do the joints where the permanent fairs attach. Just epoxy (w micro balloons) or is fiberglass mesh used there so that cracking does not occur.

I hate it when people answer a question I did not ask. Yet here I am, doing it myself.

I just attended the EAA Fiberglass workshop for RV's in Oshkosh. It was excellent!! It totally demystified fiberglass work for me, and it focused only on the things an RV builder will encounter. It was well worth the cost and travel time.

https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa-shop/Vans-RV-Fiberglass-Techniques__Vans_RV_Fiberglass_Techniques#/?location-date=December 9-10, 2017: Oshkosh, WI

Here's a partial list of topics we learned (and practiced hands on) that were invaluable:
1. How to layup the windshield to aluminum transition. Scott teaches a method that is different than the Van's instructions. In my opinion, it is much easier.
2. How to make your own "pre-preg" fiberglass material (GREATLY reduces mess and makes a much prettier part)
3. How to use Dacron "peel ply" for curing that will cut the need for sanding to virtually nothing.
4. A long list of which products to use, and when (micro bubbles, flox, Aeropoxy, etc...). I had heard many of these terms, but didn't really understand which to use when.

There are many other things we learned that gave me the confidence to work on these parts.

Not sure when this class is offered again, but for anyone who is considering it, I highly recommend it.

thanks randy. I looked up the EAA class and I just missed it (last weekend). I emailed EAA to see when the next class might be. I am not too far from Oshkosh, so I could drive.

Not scared of fiberglass. Just don't have much of a clue as to how to work with it. I would like to learn a bit from someone who knows what they are doing, instead of just winging it.

Back