What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EAA Composite Class

Hey Ken, how are you doing? Looks like you have moved forward quite a bit since I saw your project!! Nice.

I have never taken a EAA class, but I was talking with a friend just the other day that did and he said he learned quite a bit - mostly simple things that can make a huge difference. I had done quite a bit of glass building boats and boards when I was much younger, but I struggled to remember everything while working on my build. I am finishing the plenum and cowling now and it is going ok but wish I had taken a refresher course. If you don't take a course, make sure you at least find someone close to help you out or watch.

Have fun. Next time I am in Michigan, I will check back with you.

My twins took it and loved it. They learned a ton of things and techniques that they have used on may projects since.

I recently took the EAA sheet metal class. While there they said they are coming out with a composite class for RV's. I'm guessing it would be worth it if you don't have experience. I know I'm keeping my eye for it.

I'd do it in a New York minute ... the sheet metal/riveting class I took prior to ordering the Emp kit was fantastic. Learned so much and gained great confidence that I could do the job. Not too much composite stuff on an RV, but the skills and techniques would be very helpful. Here, on VAF, we have DanH's (and others) wisdom, which I have found to be great for the fiberglass stuff I've done so far.

Go. do. it!

well, I asked Troy Grover (Grove-Air) about taking the EAA class. Troy said that he would be willing to teach a basic fiberglass course, if I wanted to take it.

For those that don't know Troy, he is one of the suggested people on Van's site for teaching basic RV building. When he was in Indiana, my whole family went down to take the course. It was a great experience. Troy is now in Colorado (just north of Denver).

Maybe I will take him up on the offer and head out to CO.

Thanks for the advice.

ken

EAA RV Fiberglass Class

All,

As everyone else always says, "This is not a paid advertisement and reflects only the views of the author (who at least has first-hand knowledge of the topic)." :D

I saw a question about the EAA classes and I wanted to let anyone who is working on an RV with no prior fiberglass experience would greatly benefit from taking the class. There is still probably time to get signed up for this coming weekend (Sept 16/17 2017), and there's another class scheduled for December 8/9, 2017. As long as the demand continues, I'm sure they'll continue to have these classes.

The class is taught by Scott VanderVeen (http://pro-composites.com) who is very experienced in composite building and shares a wealth of information in class. There is also the extra benefit that he is available to ask questions (typ. by email) while you are working on your airplane. His responses are sometimes immediate, but certainly expedient.

The class was a significant confidence builder for me when I had to do my fiberglass work. After taking the class I approached my actual RV glass work like I had been doing it for years and was not the least bit apprehensive. Scott will teach you a lot of tricks of the trade that will shorten your time to complete the work. His information sharing will point you in the right direction for a lot of material and tool sources. For example, I now have a low cost, PID-controlled, curing chamber that basically cost me about $50 to build myself. Furthermore, I left the class with very specific written instructions on completing the fiberglass blending of my windscreen. That alone is worth the price of the class. Obviously, I can't say enough about the value in taking a class that is specifically targeted to the Van RV community.

Just to give you a feel for the hands-on projects you will complete here's the list: 1) Gear root fairing 2) Wheel cover fairing hole repair and 3) Windscreen-to-fuse blending on a ~1/3 scale version of that interface (aluminum-to-plexiglass). All of these completed to the point of ready-for-paint. Here's a link with pictures and a class description/video https://www.eaa.org/sitecore/commer...hops/vans_rv_fiberglass_techniques?sc_lang=en .

In full disclosure, I did take the general composite class before this class, but IMHO that is not necessary. The combination of the two classes primarily helped me with my understanding of plug fabrication and gave me a second chance at the gear root fairing. Unless I'm overlooking something, plug fabrication is only needed to build your own custom parts like my overhead light console and a few other items that are extras or non-std. RV parts. If you really plan to do a lot of plug fabrication and custom building the general composite class with Scott is perfect for you. He can give you specific instructions on some really cool equipment for making plugs, e.g. 3D printer, CNC hotwire cutter.

Basically, it's money well spent and as always you'll have the opportunity to get the one time ACS purchase discounts after taking an EAA class; we ALL know how important that is to builders! :)

Hope this is a helpful and Happy Glassing!

Regards,

Scott Wentz
RV10 Builder #40325
1/2 there and 90% to go! (working on Cabin top)
Grayslake, IL

Last edited:
My wife and I took fiberglass class in June at Oshkosh. It was a very worthwhile course. I will post more after I try the techniques on my plane.

Back