What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator fairings

d11

I'm New Here
All,

On my RV-14 elevator fairings, I have noticed that the fiberglass isn't a close match to actual contour of the elevators. In fact, both fairings have a large (4") dimple in the same area (due to the mold), and they certainly need to built up near the tapered ends. I also see the contour difference where the fairing sits next to the overlapping horizontal stab skins.

After looking through the forums and not finding anything that directly addresses this (lots on the tips), my question is: How do most people address this? I know how to fiberglass, but am new to doing it in conjunction with aluminum.

The elevator fairings are already joined.
Should I;
a) Layer micro and cloth as needed across both the fairing *and* the adjoining metal? And I assume these fairings are gel coated, so they have to have gel coat sanded down where I need to build up material.
b) Keep the fiberglass work completely off the metal, taping the metal and protecting it while working?
c) Some other technique?

(Edit: Another way to ask this questions: IOT prevent future corrosion, should I prep, alodine, and prime before spreading fiberglass/micro/epoxy over aluminum when needed?)

Once built up, I assume I have to:
1) tape the unaffected aluminum and sand with a block carefully, so it won't be easy to do much with power sanding.

Thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

v/r,
Dustin

ps - I'm also curious whether builders who are applying either alodine or primer on the horizontal stab and elevator skins are spreading the filler/micro across the metal surface as they fix issues like this (for instance making overlapping aluminum joins invisible when painting)? This is another little questions I don't see anyone actually talking about...

Last edited:
Back