What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

West System Online Supplier

bkervaski

Hellloooooooo!
Testing
Hey all,

None of the usual suspects anywhere near me have West System products .. Amazon has hit and miss inventory and month long shipping times through various suppliers .. is there a place online you guys are all getting West System products from?

Thanks for any help!

I ordered all of my west systems stuff from aircraft spruce:

I did get the resin and hardener from them .. but things like the micro-ballons and flox products and pigments aren't available ..

Don't buy the West Systems brand for those items as there are cheaper alternatives

Ahh .. maybe that's where I'm coming up short .. assumed I needed everything to be the same brand ..

check West Marine. I bought it at the local store, no hazard shipping fees.

He's in Birmingham. The closest West Marine is in Mobile. A quick check of the West Systems site shows the nearest distributer in Huntsville. So easier to just go mail-order.

Just an FYI, I found the best deal on west epoxy and hardener with pumps on Ebay with free shipping.

My closest West Marine charges more than MSRP for West System products. YMMV, but for me, mail order is the way to go. Check out boat suppliers like Jamestown Distributors.

Important Fiberglass Thread

Bill, I assume you've read the "Bible" for RV-ers on how to fabricate with fiberglass.

Here's the thread.

"Moses" (the author of the original post in that thread) is none other than Dan Horton, who lives in nearby Wetumpka.

Oh yes it does :eek::p

....matter if he uses West fillers? No, it doesn't. Buy ordinary microbubbles (white glass, not red phenolic), flox (chopped cotton fiber), and cabosil (fumed silica).

If you're really new at glass work, buy this kit, read the book three times, then do the practice exercises:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/practicekit.php

May seem pricey, but you'll save that much in wasted materials over time.

Use the West pumps to dispense epoxy and hardener into mixing cups, but actually ratio by weight with a gram scale.

I just ordered that composite training kit from Aircraft Spruce.

Thanks for all the help! Reading the "Bible" now.

Back