What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sam James Plenum Mods For Better Plug Access?

ArVeeNiner

Well Known Member
I've been meaning to do some work on my Sam James plenum to make it fit and work a bit better. One thing that I'd like to address is the lack of accessability to the top plugs without having to remove the entire plenum. This is quite the PITA especially if you need to take a look at them when you're not at your home airport.

Has anybody ever dabbled with making either a large single panel or two smaller panels that are removable for top plug access? I figure this would be quite easy to do and with the addition of some gasket material, I wouldn't think there would be any pressure loss after reinstallation.

No help here, but if there were a +1, I'm emphatically interested in this also, as I start to do plenum fitting. :)

SNIP

Has anybody ever dabbled with making either a large single panel or two smaller panels that are removable for top plug access? I figure this would be quite easy to do and with the addition of some gasket material SNIP.

I'd guess the number of screws needed for the side panels would rival what you are using now for the plenum itself.

Carl
400+ hours with and RV-10 James Cowl and Plenum

plug access

I built some oval shaped carbon fiber covers that fit on the inside of the plenum. The covers slide out of the inlet on each side. Each cover covers two key hole openings above the plugs.
If you send me your email I will send you some pics. Ron [email protected]

Here is how AJ did his.

EOyOMI9Z_5yrE6G4mF_t-dX7nHKDUHEZiRVnN4N0UYiy7g-7BrBd_T3fumNxpYkjB_XJLpcieEjDFNmzwmbTsG4XzC4fILyGoiYOm-lRACfMdbwA9AMuW8UCz6QwjK1ecDEZLAEqA98wNxEnxglcUm3Dr0A5aqnQPbK4IHwlIeN3ACDdTTxw6d_kybMz5Llp23Ae2muMZ9ywgsjOeyA7G5rsE4uhDTcq0PDaJ3XGUAOYjG2KhujvzBO497PayDA2-j02ws7CqRueMB0_JM5ruJB4QMYjEMhTlOEgRaOL_4ZleZ0EOKdd26He0pzxBoReQdI1H26fk7iADCb2ZXpqBNlWYapmqDIyk52IAogM6A-HlO1f2SKlXvD1lhyJnUD9HqzccgCH9Qz4VcVB4XaGDYLm9M38_h_0uzrrBoGkAU1xKJUwqWefFPTAAnP0wA--3rAsqzlkTdafNqWqTwXXiZBtz7v9S99oOfD88A-HE3VGhUbK9JRDsGDth2Q7ntmJpJ9QZZhPhscDZchqNg-AyqIH8Sv368p7PXP4Q_3NAb7f8UhemgBdyFjJdSpxXL_XbL_96Tia0TUhUicDTcu7eMbWWDmzX8q91JUzpUPjfjeg_Bro4n32=w800-h600-no

Kelly,
I have a James cowl and a BillL plenum - with a few modifications by me! I never thought about the plug access but I think after reading this thread, I may add them too. Sounds like a good idea.

plenum2_zpsmdojujoy.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back