What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bridging Fiberglass question

wfinnell

Well Known Member
Hi Guys,

Seems like there should be an easy answer, but I?m having a hard time figuring it out with my gorilla brain.

I want to extend some fiberglass so that it overlaps, but is not bonded to, another structure.

My question: Is there some material that I can use to easily bridge the gap between the two? Ideally if I had some packing tape the was sticky on the top surface at one end and on the back surface at the other end that would solve my problem.

Here is a picture of what I am trying to accomplish.

4aY57yB807GwFvff8X-dYWaADh-zHee4nuo7rx0hzJxdgLjz782Ju7k2-YL6Gaq4EZvayIefBTCXzsviTtei8f4ff5hysrpe-qwxgs4tzQZ2SjoxL2yEzchFAMqgBs2DuzVnqXkVso-xyl13YtCd6FWNn_U_MQAgMHt5w5MC6PAAr0EqVqAQP8qO1a55Ux8OxcSnPZCIb6GttbKCp28TcKfrJ15BWesoA0pzRWaU6cDF-VBGUN6hjxpq5MV54XYZn-gZJuapNnVbQHU4QFq_ZOYV4Nt30prrd8QKzBSHGBAUzmXqScsLvGlPA9jhXZ5MOAayEqpAS60g_oQiF01gtQLaHMMYj7AxQKOVgA6KlWjZ-e0F1mVaC1qV4vyTswQzONSHXisPhq4z3phYaeqVYfk21vdxv1XkF39bKGcVT9th3UwZVDcMCEqLRklxO8wfTQRrZcpdNy-_AU-FQCoClM0S8XjSLw-C6W6eKYn-IqrjPPEogdjahn2eyCrSS8EXJ2As2x7Nx-c12byVSuf3mQ_kP-lQVJoHuCrUHft5G9PjBMH54yHU8OUPyO_HCnynPdBFQhSzrpAKA9LDpBYiVonHJ-MxhBPJOZRUv4mOZhlzpsPx12U=w650-no

Thanks in advance,

Duct Tape

This is a pretty simple one. Use duct tape to stick to the structure, back to the cowl. Then use another piece to adhere the silver side to the inside of the cowl. You end up with two pieces of duct tape adhered sticky side together. The new layup will not stick to the duct tape, so once it is cured just peel it off.

Make sure the scarf is a minimum of 1" per layer of fiberglass on the original cowl so that the scarf retains full strength.

I just tape down .003" thick Mylar. The resin releases easily from the mylar and is will form a shape without wrinkles.

I use oversized pop/beer boxes and green "Duck Tape." Just cut the cardboard about twice as wide as your new glass area and tape it in place. Wax buffed on the label side of the box makes an easy mold release surface, the bare cardboard on the back will readily stick to epoxy.

Back