What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wheel Pants: Two Piece or Three Piece?

mlwynn

Well Known Member
I have seen wheel pants done two ways: Style A) fit the front and back, mold the fairing to the gear leg as an integral part of the forward and rear pieces. It comes apart at the gear as two pieces. B) Fit the front and rear pieces. Make a third piece that is the fairing around the gear that then screws to the front and rear wheel pant halves.

Making the two piece is definitely more difficult, but I think more elegant. Have seen several where there is a "V" defect where they come together from too much or vigorous sanding, which seems to be a hazard.

The three piece allows you to wrap around the gear leg and hide the joint on the inside--like the upper gear fairing. However, you have another joint between the fairing and the wheel pant halves.

I'm thinking about re-making my wheel pants. Any thoughts on which approach to take?

Given how frequently we find it necessary to remove wheel pants, anything that simplifies the task is good IMO. I opted to bond the lower intersection fairing to the front half of the wheel pant. I like that better than having to remove three different pieces for wheel/tire/brake service.

My vote is 2

When I built my 7A I went with 2 pieces. It's a little more work up front but in my opinion looks better and is way easier to remove. I purchased a flying 10 and it has 3 pieces, the workmanship is really good but it's a PITA to remove.

Gary

I have seen 2 different ways to accomplish the 2 piece.

I fabricated the 3 piece because I did not like the more common split line location on the 2 piece intersection fairing. I did not want a flow trip line (joint) at the gear centerline.

So, the alternate method I may do (need a round tuit :rolleyes:) which I have seen a couple of times is to permanently attach the intersection fairing to the nose of the wheel fairing but maintain the fully faired intersection shape and screw it to the tail section just like a 3 piece. The intersection fairing just flexes around the gear on installation or removal.

So, the alternate method I may do (need a round tuit :rolleyes:) which I have seen a couple of times is to permanently attach the intersection fairing to the nose of the wheel fairing but maintain the fully faired intersection shape and screw it to the tail section just like a 3 piece. The intersection fairing just flexes around the gear on installation or removal.

Yep ... Dat's da ticket. Works like a charm. :)

ideal fairing ......the elusive ultimate solution.....

...my fantasy dream fairing would be one that, with use of a dime, could release a few camlocs, and allow me to inspect the brakes, and add air, without a lot of fooling around with tools, airchuck extensions, dirty knees, etc.....especially when away from home!

.....anyone gotten this creative?

I have seen 2 different ways to accomplish the 2 piece.

I fabricated the 3 piece because I did not like the more common split line location on the 2 piece intersection fairing. I did not want a flow trip line (joint) at the gear centerline.

That is an interesting idea. Anyone have a photo?

A few pics

2 piece

raonyr.jpg
[/IMG]

33ttawp.jpg

Gary

More Pictures or Build Log?

I am about to make the lower intersection fairings for my SJ pants. It seems like a good opportunity to make integral with the front and rear pant halves.

Does anyone have a build log, or pictures on how the split works? I had rather not blaze my own trail.

Access door?

Which of these are more accommodating to putting in an access door to check tire pressures?

Which of these are more accommodating to putting in an access door to check tire pressures?

Access door is on opposite side from gear leg so the style of intersection fairing mount does not come into play in this decision.

Its annual time. I decided to integrate the intersection fairing into the front wheel cover nosebowl as discussed earlier in the thread. Been wanting to do this for a while. Gotta' round tuit this time. :) Reassembly to the gearleg fairings was no more trouble than when the intersection fairing was loose. Oh Yeah, all this work eliminated one #6 screw on each fairing. 2 knots minimum.......

607885694588e76e5b14df.jpg

Back