What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wingtip Gaps?

BLittleton

I know one reason to make/buy inlet covers is to keep bugs and things out. I've seen plenty of engine intake plugs and pitot covers and the like. As I'm building the tips (with hinges) I'm noticing large gaps at both ends of the tip rib. Are these access points of concern? Does anyone do anything about them? If so, what?

Thanks,

kfDdwMLpRtnK_AhU_TY3WQe8nEW4yZUppehp1kfcUW-_oz9WOxxJoWTS_1GmKw1nuMAXc9TGGF3OuNqoE9Ouo7uNtD-Azlnb-dL18KKCYYzoOxvgrzxNDbHT6BgYFCa_XTyeDUfiSGFRRqzKoaqVn9Q2jiRmAVtkNdltzXsGs9xlvSEtaO0DuaHR27y9p3QekPWjrE4V3NKuamP1x5E3Hg3y4MHOs8Xrg1hxPkGH6Zj06Wi_MtN81SWXR5uCh0z77QFp9rhWlpQyYqSrjXadpnjlNqwFTLC9Jz12pSBxLfoXbgO8DJa5UomDLBXSM1x6EcSPwuRZNJTGEcO9UEoPC-xZGkIV8KVdM4LYVUESA2LkPsTy5jF3zVRtgYbvrZSKBTwEyPRkYB7zIjLDIxrKFlXLmC-S_tb7fX3rNOboIOTGIju-ZuhwuXcFAiiWkGoQckXPJRYZxtT1tsxDMJdvPIm9bOVbvI2W3w6IHATNaQT7a7RjEEVcu0lMVudnW1eN6q0D-rwjo4Wodi3do-TAvYhEQULYh2cpRDHC4_xxkOi3ixXZ8vrNiQYJCzl_r9ucmEtVjPbaGSjlV24iO9WoPbo33QvSeA=w534-h748-no

I've seen some tips where the recess / gap was foamed & glassed in to make it smooth & nicely faired. Other than that, never seen a removable plug.

There are other wing entry points for bugs, like where the aileron pushrod exits the wing. Bugs in wings don't weigh much; a bug in the pitot tube, or a bird nest in the intake, otoh, can cause some real issues.

Back