What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fiberglass overlay?

Tbone

Well Known Member
Just starting installing the empennage tips and plan on using Hysol to bond them to the alum. ( with rivets ) My question is if, or why, do people put a layer of cloth over the "seam"? I plan on having the rudder bottom and the vert. stab removable for maintenance. Do I need to cover the microballoon filler with cloth? Or can I just finish over with primer? I plan on bonding small alum washers as backing strip replacement. Seems just as useful as a strip. Any advice?

The fiberglass cloth stops cracking at the seams which might eventually occur if you use just the filler on its own.

Cheers

Five years flying, 525 hours, Hysol bond, riveted wet, filled with West/micro, no cloth, no cracking.

It's a primer debate really. If they crack at 2000 hours I'll be an idiot ;)

Five years flying, 525 hours, Hysol bond, riveted wet, filled with West/micro, no cloth, no cracking.

It's a primer debate really. If they crack at 2000 hours I'll be an idiot ;)

Ha! Yes.
Two schools ; Those that like to see separate parts look separate and those that want that sleeker custom look. If you are in the camp that keeps the parts looking separate, your job is easy - follow the plans.
If you want a sleeker custom look, you better make sure you know what you are doing. I have seen many, many failed attempts at "glassing" the seems. Many more than I have seen done well.
I like Dan's chances. He knows what he is doing.

I would like the two parts divided by a seam, which needs to look even. I do plan to Hysol the items and then sand the fairing and use micro to level out the inconsistencies. I guess I would just prime with my choice of. No fiberglass layer over micro. What suggestions on a removable fairing to make a nice even transition? Should I remove the gel coat under the micro?

Back