VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-25-2015, 02:55 PM

Default Skyview and AP Panel

I wanted the features that the Dynon AP panel provided me and mine just arrived. I have the installation guide of course, but trying to integrate that with my already completed RV12 Skyview wiring has some of the wheels in my brain going into high speed wobbles.
Has anyone already done this, and/or is there a wiring diagram that helps me out?
Old 04-25-2015, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonFromTX View Post
I wanted the features that the Dynon AP panel provided me and mine just arrived. I have the installation guide of course, but trying to integrate that with my already completed RV12 Skyview wiring has some of the wheels in my brain going into high speed wobbles.
Has anyone already done this, and/or is there a wiring diagram that helps me out?

I just did this in the past few days. Follow the KAI instructions, then download the 12.xx updates from the Van's website including the expert autopilot download. There is also a multipage pdf file that is pretty important.

There is really only 7 wires you have to deal with...unplug the old a/p in the network hub, remove the 4 wires below the console (into the red switch)....new wiring is straightforward.

The hardest part was the removal/insertion of the pins in the switch panel 25 pin plug....a hard tug pulls those pins out intact and then you need to insert the 3 new ones....i just electrical taped off the old ones.

There are 4 new wires for the a/p red button sw as well - I ended up at frys electronics and just cut the old connector and bought a new one.

When you run the updates - you need to do the find network devices - and it will find and update the a/p panels and re-boot. Follow the long pdf guide on the vans downloads page for 12.xx......Then the panels will work fine and should have flashing red lights on the back when connected to the network.

As an aside these panels are nice - but then again I am a biased glorified button pusher. You push the ALT button and the altitude resets to your altitude - same with heading and BARO does GPS altimeter setting - nice for uncontrolled airports.

Last edited by cactusman : 04-25-2015 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:25 PM

Thanks John, that is most helpful and just what I needed!
Old 05-04-2015, 09:49 AM

Well, I still need help, I have spent over a week trying to access this information without success. I don't know why the Vans stuff is so hard for me to download or read, but I have not been able to get to any of this stuff John graciously shared with me. Would someone actually download this and either give me a link or a copy of what is hidden there?
Old 05-04-2015, 10:35 AM

Don,
Exactly what are you trying to download? Is it SV-AP-KNOB ELECTRICAL?
I might be able to help if I knew exactly what you are looking for. Email me.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:46 AM

Default D-Sub pin removal

The way to remove a pin is to position the tool around the wire and push the tool all of the way into the hole before gently pulling on the wire. If the pin does not come out easily, then rotate the tool 30 degrees and try again. Keep repeating until the wire comes out easily without pulling hard. Do not pull the wire until the tool is bottomed out in the hole.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:57 AM

Here is the pdf file:

http://vansaircraft.com/public/downl...E-03-04-15.pdf

Here is the 12.xx file - it is a zip file so it has to be unzipped first (several programs and some browsers will do this automatically for you....)

http://vansaircraft.com/public/downl...s_03-24-15.zip

There are multiple files in this zip file - some you need and some you don't need. I skipped the knob dimmer and the simplified autopilot panel files when I transferred them to my USB stick.

Keep in mind that your autopilot settings need to be set to EXPERT mode in the Skyview setup menu as well.

My ap and knob panels would not function until i did the find new network items (it showed the servos and the transponder, etc already) and then it popped up with a menu found new....needs software update....do you want to run this....

As for the DB25 pins I would defer to Joe - my tool wouldn't get them out without a hard tug however. The molex style 4-pin a/p off red button does require a tool but you can buy replacement connectors at radio shack and Frys Electronics (my 4 new wires came with female molex pins already so I threaded them through the panel bottom, cut the old female connectors, pulled out the old wires and put the new female molex pins into a new connector and plugged them into the connector coming off the red button a/p disconnect sw.)

Last edited by cactusman : 05-04-2015 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 05:50 PM

Lightbulb What wiring harness do you have? The conversion ones from D180 to Skyview?

Don, I noticed your S/N being 461 do you have the conversion harnesses for D180 to Skyview? If so I have a modified diagram of what I did to add the AP.
VAF 2018 Donation Current
Old 05-06-2015, 06:45 PM

I don't fully understand how the RV-12 wiring works, but there are 2 skyview network ports (9-pin dsub) on the back of the screen. You can unplug one wire going there and plug it into the ap panel as well, then run a 1.5' Skyview network cable from e our port on the ap panel and run it to the screen.
RV Hotel (hangar, room, car) at X35 in north FL

Commercial ASEL/S A&P/IA EAA Technical Counselor

Dynamic Prop Balancing, Prebuy Inspections, Condition Inspections, Repairs and Mods, Injector Tuning, Airframe, Engine, Panel Upgrades, Ferrying, etc.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:23 PM

I do have the 180 to Skyview conversion harness. I would love your wiring diagram!
QUOTE=Skunkworks;980915]Don, I noticed your S/N being 461 do you have the conversion harnesses for D180 to Skyview? If so I have a modified diagram of what I did to add the AP.[/quote]