What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADHARS location, Slider frame

jibby212

Well Known Member
I am trying to nail down the location for a Dynon ADHARS unit in my rv7 slider. I would like to locate behind the baggage bulkhead on a mount attached to the j stringers like I have seen a number of people do. The two concerns I have are heat radiating of the top skin and more so, the effect of the open slider frame, I have searched and searched but have only found one reference to this being a problem. Of course the canopy would be closed in flight but for start up and taxi in Florida, it will be open. If I mount it low I think there will be a concern with moisture and it being the low point in the system, especially on the ground.

Mount from J-stringers

I am trying to nail down the location for a Dynon ADHARS unit in my rv7 slider. I would like to locate behind the baggage bulkhead on a mount attached to the j stringers like I have seen a number of people do. The two concerns I have are heat radiating of the top skin and more so, the effect of the open slider frame, I have searched and searched but have only found one reference to this being a problem. Of course the canopy would be closed in flight but for start up and taxi in Florida, it will be open. If I mount it low I think there will be a concern with moisture and it being the low point in the system, especially on the ground.

I have mine mounted exactly as you describe (PHOTO HERE) on my -7 slider. The top of the ADHARS unit is 2 to 3" below the skin. Nearly 4 years and 324 hours - absolutely no problems. Lots of ops during hot Alabama summers. The mag heading will swing when you open and close the canopy, but as long as you calibrate it with the canopy closed it is a non-issue. BTW - I calibrated mine initially on the ground - not a good way to do it IMHO. Re-calibrated it later in flight using the new Dynon procedure - MUCH better.

Nice bracket Dan, did you use snap bushings or rubber grommets in the holes. Does anyone have the measurement from the base of the ADHARS to the center of air lines. I have the Dynon measurements but in construction terms, no elevation view.

Snap Bushings

I used snap bushings. The ones for the tubes were probably overkill. I used the push on type pneumatic connections (Safeair), and I was trying to reduce bending strain where the tubes went into the fittings. In retrospect, they are probably not needed.
The bushings on the side carried the Dynon network harness around to the DB-9 connector on the aft side.

Sorry, I don't recall the CL vertical dimension of pneumatic ports on the unit. Dynon has drawings on their site if you can display a .IGS or .x_t CAD file.

I ran 2 aluminum angles across the longerons behind the baggage compartment and mounted my dual ADAHARS piggyback with the Dynon dual mount kit. There was minor interference from the shoulder harness cables so I replaced them with stainless. Setup works great, easy access and no interference from autopilot pitch servo or slider operation. Do a search on my previous posts and you will find a picture of the install.

Last edited:
ADAHRS mount

I built one very similar to Dan's. I have a drawing if you want. Send an e-mail.
Mine is mounted to the next bulkhead back and between the stringers. Rock solid. Brass hardware. It's already set up to be pretty close to level. Final adjustment is done with washers.

Back