What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Yaw Damper vs Rudder trim

jamcgee1978

Quick question,

Although way down the line of the build I had considered Aerosport Rudder trim spring bias system, is there still a need for a yaw damper in the -10 i plan on going with a Dynon skyview system. Slightly confused thanks in advance,

James

Auto pilot functionality (even yaw damper) is not meant to be used for trim on any axis.
The autopilot works best and expects the airplane to be in trim while it flys, just the same as you would want it to be.

The need for rudder trim is a totally different discussion, but since most of the time spent on AP is a level cruise condition, my experience flying RV-10's indicates that rudder trim is not needed.

I started with no rudder trim in my RV10. Then I added a spring bias system and it was a slight improvement, mostly to not rest a foot on the right rudder during climb.
Later I added the Dynon yaw damper system and removed the spring bias system and it was a very nice improvement. The Y/D can’t replace full rudder trim like what would be required for a multi engine multi thrust line aircraft in the event of an engine failure. No way. It does, however, IMO, work great for the needs of a single thrust line aircraft for both dampening environmental yaw and keeping the rudder trimmed during the slight natural differences between climb, cruise, and descent attitudes, of an airplane that is otherwise “straight flying”.
Since I added my Y/D system, the airplane is ball centered, feet flat on the floor for everything but takeoff and landing, with a noticably more comfortable ride as well.

Last edited:
Auto pilot functionality (even yaw damper) is not meant to be used for trim on any axis.
The autopilot works best and expects the airplane to be in trim while it flys, just the same as you would want it to be.

The need for rudder trim is a totally different discussion, but since most of the time spent on AP is a level cruise condition, my experience flying RV-10's indicates that rudder trim is not needed.

+1

Carl

YD

Yep, Yaw Dampers and Rudder Trim are two DIFFERENT things...

Garmin seems to think so, too...

Engineers too...

The great thing about experimental aircraft is that you get to do whatever you want, regardless of what anyone else says.

What do those guys know, anyway!:D:rolleyes:

They are two different things. The RV10 was engineered WITHOUT rudder trim.
In my post I referenced ?otherwise straight flying airplane?.
Having rudder trim is a choice. Having Y/D is a choice. If you have both, and the airplane isn?t flying straight, you should trim it first and engage the Y/D afterwards.
After the Y/D is engaged it will sense displacement of the ball and correct it to the center position because ?centered ball? is how it is calibrated.

It works great. Happy to give any interested party a demo.

Myron,
I?m with you on this one. My 10 had was build without a trim tab. It flew great but the ball was always off to the right just enough to be a PITA. Maybe 10% of the ball just to the right of the centering vertical lines. If you rested your foot on it in cruise it would center up just fine. I tried the rudder trim system from Aerosport but in my case it didn?t have the clearance nessesary to install. Yes I could have installed a very small tab but really didn?t want to.The YD install was a nice to have. Keeps the ball centered in all phases of flight other than takeoff and initial climb. My wife flies with me all the time and really likes the ride especially in turbulence. It?s kind of like the Dynon auto trim, you don?t need it but once you have it....... The auto trim and YD make instrument approaches that much better. Yes I practice without them and without the AP. They just make a great plane even better.

Gary

chose not to go with yaw damper

I have a Garmin panel which supports a yaw damper. All it needs is wiring going to the servo. I wanted to install one but I couldn't figure out how to mount the servo. Later, I saw a sketch how to do it (and it was simple) but it was too late.

Also decided not to install rudder trim. Now that the plane is flying, rudder trim is necessary. Ordered Aerosports rudder trim device and I asked Zack if I could install the device on a finished plane. He said most of their sales are to customers who are already flying.

Back