What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tordrillo Mountains 7-22-2017

mbauer

Well Known Member
The Tordrillo Mountains are part of the Alaska Range. Last summer I overflew them as part of a project to show what might be the limits of a new city, I'm helping to Incorporate.

A group of citizens are working to Incorporate Nikiski, Alaska into a legal city, so that we will have a voice in how our tax monies are spent. I'll not go into the politics of what is happening, however I will explain that the city boundary requested is over 5,480 SQ miles big.

Mt Spurr is on the Northern border of the requested city limits. Mt Spurr is the Southern Peak of the Tordrillo Mountains, it is also an active Volcano, last erupting in 1992.

On my flight, the view from 14,500 MSL was fantastic. Denali was out for viewing as well as the mountains for of the 360 degrees. Taking over 425-photos as well as 64GB of video, I enjoyed the whole flight while using oxygen.

Here is a GPS track saved on my Area 660 that shows the Loop I did when taking the following photos. You can see that the track has several other tracks in the local area. The loop to the North West is the one for this flight.
147_North_Flight_Tordillo_Mtns.png

I combined the photos into panoramic views using a free program. If enough are interested I can provide the link to download if anybody wants to try it out.

Ok, first Pano is of Denali (The Great One) and Mt Foraker, North of the Tordrillo Mtns. Denali far right background.
Denali_Spur_Pano.jpg

Denali_Foraker2.jpg

Denali_Foraker.jpg

Here are a few panos looking west at the Tordrillo Range: 1st photo shows Beluga Lake and the mountains.
Tordillo_Beluga_Lake.jpg

Todillo_Best.jpg

Tordillo_Mtns_Looking_West.jpg

Next panos are looking East towards Anchorage, Alaska. You can see Fire Island in the far background, Beluga Lake is the big lake in the foreground:
Beluga_Lake_to_Fire_Island.jpg

Here is looking South towards Nikiski-Kenai Peninsula in the far background on the other side of Cook Inlet:
318_323_Over_Tordillo_Kenai_Peninsula_Background.jpg

A final Photo Looking East. The dark mountain visible at the far left background is Mt Susitna it is called Sleeping Beauty-easy to see why if viewed from Anchorage. Looks like a woman sleeping on her side with her arm used as a pillow for her head.
273_282_Mt_Susitna_Mt_Spur.jpg

More photos to follow tomorrow-late and need to get some sleep for work tomorrow.

Ok, just checked and I will make the next panos bigger to see the details, looks like they fit fine on the webpage.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Last edited:
Back