What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alaska Kenai Peninsula 11-24-2017 Flight

mbauer

Well Known Member
Alaska Kenai Peninsula 11-25-2017 Flight

Yesterday was clear and cold. Temp was +15 deg F, skies were clear, what a great day for flying.

My RV-6 is parked outside at PAEN (Kenai Alaska Airport). I made some covers for it, including an engine cover.

Arriving in the morning I spent 1.5 hours preheating and pre-flighting before a 11am take-off. Flew for 1.3 hours and decided to head back and get my camera (forgot my still photo camera-did have my Canon video recorder).

After a quick lunch and checking that the engine was still warm, took off and headed back to the Kenai Mountains to the East of Kenai.
Here are some of the photos I took with a close to setting sun, most photos were taken from 5500 MSL, the ones heading back to the West were taken from 6500 MSL.

Here is a screenshot of my Garmin Aera 660-it shows the route, time of flight, actual flight hours, and distance. At very top of screenshot is Anchorage Ted Stevens International Airport Airspace..
68.png

Attached is a photo heading East from Kenai towards the mountains. The road from Anchorage heads through these mountains as well. Road is 160 miles one way, while it is only 60-air miles to Anchorage.
Kenai_Mtns_Zoom.jpg

Following are some of the other photos I took:
Mtns1.jpg

Mtns3.jpg

Moon5.jpg

Moon1.jpg

Here is a photo of the Kenai River and part of the Highway-far distance is a small town called Cooper Landing. Copper Landing is at the Lake at the far end of the valley-Kenai Lake.
Kenai_Rvr.jpg

Ok, turned around and now heading back to the West. One of my favorite mountain biking trails is along the lower right side of photo, a ten mile hill climb to the top of Devils Pass:
Devils_Pass_Trail.jpg

Looking to the Northwest you can see in the far distance Denali and Mt Foraker (approx. 190-200 miles away in the haze):
Denali_Foraker3.jpg

On the West side of Kenai is Cook Inlet, the Northern most part of the Pacific Ocean, the mountains in the far distance are on the West side of Cook Inlet, both of these are volcanos. Mt Redoubt to the North (right side of photo) has erupted twice since 1989. Lake in the background is Skilak Lake.
Mt_Illiamnia_Mt_Redoubt.jpg

Real pretty day for flying!

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Last edited:
Not used to seeing bumps in the earth :D

Nice pictures Mike.

Going to be 80 here tomorrow, but I would trade it for that flight you did!

Not used to seeing bumps in the earth :D

Nice pictures Mike.

Going to be 80 here tomorrow, but I would trade it for that flight you did!

Thank you for the kind words.

One of my favorite areas to see, by airplane, car or bicycle. The Devils Pass Trail ties into the 38.8 mile long Resurection Pass Trail, great way to spend a week riding from cabin to cabin along the route. Nearest road is miles away.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

As a good friend of mine would interpret it this is sick! Sick being translated a notch over superb and two over awesome! Very rare views Mike thank you. I have a bookmarked volcano webcams I watch almost daily and Mt Redoubt looks gorgeous in your picture. Hope to be there in seven months.

Absolutely beautiful! You make us jealous, for sure. We are planning to come back up there this summer and can't wait. Alaska has some of the most beautiful scenery there is, and the people are so friendly!

Vic

Hey Mike, looks like you are having a good time back in AK. I am getting close on my plane. Maybe next summer I can fly up!

Thank you for checking the thread out!

Vlad, will have updated info for your Dutch visit fairly soon.

Vic, where do you plan to head next summer? Curious, would like to meet and say hello in person.

snopercod, going through 425 photos I took on 7-22-2017 when I flew over to the West side above the Tordrillo Mountains part of the Alaska Range.

Will be posting a new thread soon, creating some panoramic combinations that look like they meet the 900 pixel wide specs for this forum.

Rockwood, great to hear you're almost ready to fly! Look forward to a visit if you head up. Will send you a PM - Question for you.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Hi, Mike. We like to get to Anchorage and do daily fly outs from there, seeing the glaciers and perhaps Barrow. We managed to get across the Arctic Circle last time, but the fires and smoke kept us from going any further north. We try to go up the coast to Ketchikan and Yakutak, weather permitting. If not, we go up the trench through White Horse and Fairbanks.

Hopefully, we can meet yout, oo. :0

Vic

Hi, Mike. We like to get to Anchorage and do daily fly outs from there, seeing the glaciers and perhaps Barrow. We managed to get across the Arctic Circle last time, but the fires and smoke kept us from going any further north. We try to go up the coast to Ketchikan and Yakutak, weather permitting. If not, we go up the trench through White Horse and Fairbanks.

Hopefully, we can meet yout, oo. :0

Vic
Hi Vic,
I've ended up flying the coast every time. Once tried flying the Trench, but weather forced me to the coast once I hit Prince George. Flew through Smithers into Terrace to find clear skies. Little bit of turbulence clearing the ridge East of Terrace. That flight was Northbound in a IFR Piper Cherokee 140.

Sounds like you've got it planned pretty well, just let me know when you're headed up, meet for lunch or something!

Only time I made it to Barrow was flying a National Guard Huey, last two weeks of January 1987. -65 deg F before wind chill, cold, very cold. Did get some VHS footage of a polar bear when we flew a mission to the Point Lonely DEW line station. Was able to get the first official sunrise of 1987 as well. Sun didn't make it up very high over the horizon that day!

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Reviving old thread

Thanks Mike for showing me your stomping grounds. What a great time was had! We couldn't make Devil's Pass but flew over Skilak Lake. :)

Hi Vlad,

Great to hear from you again. Still amazed at your photos. You have a great eye and talent for taking photos! From going through your threads pretty sure I'm not the only one who thinks so!

Printed the Rainbow out at the 60.96cm x 91.44cm size on the photo paper like yours. Looks great, now to make a frame.

Son flies into PANC (Ted Stevens International Airport in Anchorage) tonight. Getting ready to head out for pre-flight and head that way to get him.

BTW-Capt John, Markham and I finished off the "RV" juice you left! Hand label item.

The stuff in the green jug has made a few local friends! What an introduction...

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Hi Vlad,

Great to hear from you again. Still amazed at your photos. You have a great eye and talent for taking photos! From going through your threads pretty sure I'm not the only one who thinks so!

Printed the Rainbow out at the 60.96cm x 91.44cm size on the photo paper like yours. Looks great, now to make a frame.

Son flies into PANC (Ted Stevens International Airport in Anchorage) tonight. Getting ready to head out for pre-flight and head that way to get him.

BTW-Capt John, Markham and I finished off the "RV" juice you left! Hand label item.

The stuff in the green jug has made a few local friends! What an introduction...

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Yes, and it made for a great kick start for the evening!

;) CJ

Back