What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fly-out Friday after Thanksgiving LULU's - Gulf Shores, AL KJKA

Weasel

Well Known Member
Howdy Airplane People!!!!

Coming up next month I am inviting you to fly to Gulf Shores, AL for the day!!! In the past years we have had a great turnout of airplanes and lots of fun. I have confirmed the Restaurant will be open.

Airport: KJKA
Date: November 24, 2017
Time: All day ? Lunch suggested time ~11:30am local
Place: Lulu?s Restaurant
Fun: Everywhere
Who: Anyone interested in airplanes,
You will need to plan your own transportation from the airport.

Some like to walk it is only about 1 mile from Salt Air and 0.6 mile from Gulf Air Center. In the past the FBO?s have helped shuttle but you need to check in with them.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Sal...80a6164cd7cef91!2m2!1d-87.684976!2d30.2799765

There is no planned program and sometimes the group is large enough that we get split up at Lulu?s and do not even get to meet everyone. If you have suggestions to help us get to meet each other, make it known.

I will post this on several aviation boards. Feel free to distribute to your aviation friends.

LULU?s https://lulubuffett.com/gulf-shores/#/boards/lulu-s-gulf-shores-facebook-content
LuLus.GS_Menu17_Web_Starters-2017-rs.jpg

LuLus.GS_Menu17_Web_Baskets-2017-rs.jpg

LuLus.GS_Menu17_Web_Back-2017-rs.jpg

Joel Graber

Moderators: I placed this in the Trip Write-up category anticipating follow-up pictures and stories that could be posed here for anyone that attends. Feel free to move to a more suited category if needed.

[ed. Works for me! I want me some of that Krispy Kreme Bread Pudding!!!! Looking fwd to the pics. vr,dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
Emails recieved today

so-far I have received the following emails...sounds like the FBO's want us there :)

Joel,
I want to introduce myself my name is Shawnda Henderson and I am the General Manager at Gulf Air Center.
First I want to thank you for coming down to Gulf Shores Nov 24th we look forward to seeing you guys. I would like to talk to you about a discounted fuel price for you and your crew if you use us at Gulf Air. We also have a party bus that can hold 14 people at a time. We can reserve the party bus to take you and your crew to lulu?s complimentary of Gulf Air Center if you choose to come here. We would love to accommodate any needs that you guys may have. Feel free to email me or call me on my cell 251-504-4122. I look forward to hearing from you and seeing you all Nov 24th.

Shawnda Henderson
General Manager
Gulf Air Center
3190 Airport Dr. Suite A
Gulf Shores, Al 36542
Cell- (251)-504-4122
Office- (251)968-5200
Fax- (251)968-5205
[email protected]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. Graber,

We will be most happy to shuttle participants back and forth to LuLu?s! Call us at 251-923-0050 or call our Arinc 130.75.

Platinum Air Center JKA

Good Trip!

Weasel,

We have been there with you guys before and will try again this year if family schedule and weather co-operates. It's a lot of fun ya'll!

PAUL & BETH

Fuel Discount Avgas $3.89/gal

Update from Gulf Air.......:D
We are offered a discount for this one time event on November 24, 2017. See below email string.

Great looking forward to seeing you all.

Sent: Thursday, November 02, 2017 7:40 AM
To: Shawnda Henderson
Subject: RE: Message from AirNav.com user to Gulf Air Center (KJKA)

Thanks.

I will send this out. It will likely encourage more people to come. ;)

Joel

Sent: Wednesday, November 1, 2017 12:14 PM
To: joel
Subject: RE: Message from AirNav.com user to Gulf Air Center (KJKA)

This is something we are offering to you guys from Gulf Air center directly for planning a fly in to Jack Edwards. Just our way of telling you thank you.

Sent: Wednesday, November 01, 2017 12:08 PM
To: Shawnda Henderson
Subject: Re: Message from AirNav.com user to Gulf Air Center (KJKA)

That is a generous offer. Is this public information for me to post on the Aviation boards?
Joel Graber

On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 12:04 PM -0500, Shawnda Henderson
Our retail price is 4.59 we can do it for 3.89 a gallon for you guys!

Sent from my iPhone

> On Nov 1, 2017, at 11:54 AM, Joel Graber wrote:
>
> Correct. I don think there will be anyone using jet fuel.
>
>
> Joel
>
>
>
> From: Shawnda Henderson
> Sent: Wednesday, November 1, 2017 11:43 AM
> To: Joel Graber
> Subject: RE: Message from AirNav.com user to Gulf Air Center (KJKA)
>
> Hey Joel,
> No worries I just wanted to touch base with you. The aircraft that you guys come down on is it 100LL-AVGAS?
>
> From: Joel Graber
> Sent: Wednesday, November 01, 2017 11:39 AM
> To: Shawnda Henderson
>
> Hi Shawnda,
>
> Due to it being a few weeks off I have not pursued it much but I can reflect your offers to the groups.
>
>
> Joel
>
> From: Shawnda Henderson
>
> Hey Joel,
> I noticed that I have not heard back from you guys and I was hoping that Gulf Air could assist you with the fly in to lulu?s.
> Let me know if I can be of any help. We would love to work with you guys. Have a safe flight.
>
>
>

Weather looks good!

Weasel,

Looks like we are in and I have sent an e-mail out to our chapter members - maybe we will get some takers from the Jackson area...

PAUL

Calendar

Weasel gets an “Attaboy” for including this on the VAF Calendar. Wish I could attend. Should be a good time. :)

Last edited:
Weather looking VFR

Weather is looking nice so this is looking like a doable trip with seafood to boot! Lots of MOAs down around there. Any advise from any LULU veterans on flying in the area?
Thanks.

That's all Navy nugget training down there (Pensacola--I know--I used to be one of them) Whenever I fly down there, I always get flight following from ATC.

Good turnout

Lots of RV folks here today. My first time to Jack Edwards and very nice place to visit.

Just got home. A large time was had by all. I got to learn about coupling the Orion space capsule to the SLS, and made some new friends.

I thought John (the waiter) did a great job handling such a big group.

Thanks to Weasel for igniting the interest & arranging fuel discounts/ground transport. Where are we going next weekend?

Charlie

Great times!!!

Doug---so uh sorry. I looked all around and nowhere did I find an order of Krispy Kreme Bread Pudding. Maybe it was gobbled before I could capture a shot?

Well into the flight down I took a shot out the right window...:confused::rolleyes:

37738001775_816dca88ca_c.jpg

26849879139_d65c3c0e91_c.jpg

View on the ramp...was buncha planes in other directions. Had a great turnout.

38569767336_9b9c36b710_c.jpg

Gulf Air gave us all rides to the restaurant. Thanks Gulf Air!!!

26849876269_07e370b8bb_c.jpg

Our crew. My precious wife, sister n law, and youngest daughter...we had fun.

38626044621_d5cfdafa7c_c.jpg

24753437198_326c237c23_c.jpg

24753443618_1e76360f9e_c.jpg

That shot of the wing is what mine looked like when we got back from Lulu's to the airport. The lineman filled the tank, and left the cap lying on top of the wing. I know better than to walk away before fueling is finished....

That shot of the wing is what mine looked like when we got back from Lulu's to the airport. The lineman filled the tank, and left the cap lying on top of the wing. I know better than to walk away before fueling is finished....

We had that happen 15 years ago on a return from Osh. I actually saw the cap depart the plane at 100 knots and 100' agl on takeoff. I landed and we found the cap.

I continue to fly with the scarred cap as a reminder to do thorough preflights after fueling and to use self-serve whenever possible.

Bread Pudding

Doug---so uh sorry. I looked all around and nowhere did I find an order of Krispy Kreme Bread Pudding. Maybe it was gobbled before I could capture a shot?

Well . . . . . I didn't think I ate it that fast! I can attest however that it was HUGH and it was Great! Not nearly as sweet as you might think given that it's made out of Krispy Kreme donuts. I did have a hard time staying awake during the flight back to Moontown though . . . . .

Back