What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to learn more about engines

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
The thread on the loss of compression and the posts about pulling the jugs and checking clearances and tolerances was yet another reminder about a reality for me: I don't know **** about engines.

I don't know how to pull a cylinder. I don't know WHEN to pull a cylinder. I don't know what to do about a stuck valve even if I had one, which I don't.

I'm wondering if there is some reasonably efficient way of learning these things with, perhaps, some hands-on practice that might tell me what tools I need and help me understand what the builder/owner is capable of when it comes to servicing an engine in a given situation?

Last edited:
I'm wondering if there is some reasonably efficient way of learning these things with, perhaps, some hands-on practice that might tell me what tools I need and help me understand what the builder/owner is capable of when it comes to servicing an engine in a given situation?

Lycoming has an engine school that lasts a couple of days that folks have said is very good. Short of finding a knowledgeable friend who is overhauling an engine that will let you help, this is probably the most "efficient" way.

I can think of at least one way that a good writer could make such a school financially efficient as well.... ;)

Engine knowledge

Does it have to be airplane engine knowledge? I've never worked on an airplane engine but after years of overhauling auto engines, all the comments are understood and I feel with a service manual, I could rebuild one.. I would suggest buying a $500 thrasher and tear it apart then put it back together. Not exactly a Lycoming but much cheaper and you might end up with a fun toy. I'm on my fourth now. First was a VW bug (total restoration), then a Isuzu Pup 4x4, Suzuki Samurai 4x4 and now Chevy Tracker 4x4. The latter is my daily driver now. If your disappointed with the project, haul it to the junk yard.

Engines

There are videos available for assembly of the 0 320 and 0 360. I believe both were done in the old Mattituck facility.

Bob,
Being trite about it, I have always learned the most about something after I broke it and had to fix it :eek:

Manuals & classes....great. Experience.....Priceless!

I have not dug into a Lyc, nor will I likely do so.
I have rebuilt a number of small-blocks chevy's, enough to know that watching someone, and reading the manual are ok, but what's always missing is 'the magic', or 'art' part of it, that I would certainly want put into any engine I fly behind.
I think most know what I mean; you are mounting manifold 'x' to head 'y', and recall that last time, you had a leak there.....so you need to use more sealant, or double up on the gasket, or use the 'new' version.
...or after 100+ hours, you see potential problem areas, where you 'shoulda' done something different, & 99% of the time, that ain't in no book!

Find a good A&P who will let you "help". Expect to pay extra for this service. Nothing beats hands-on training.

Mike Busch's articles are usually the first thing I read in Sport Aviation. His article in the recent June issue, Cylinder Work:Be Afraid got my attention and seems pertinent to this discussion. Due to the nature of his business it's usually an A&P that miss-diagnoses a problem or makes a mistake. He also points out the way that over-regulation of certified aircraft maintenance can do more harm than good at times; such as, causing unnecessary cylinder work to be performed. It's good to get as much engine knowledge as you can to keep your A&P honest and to know what maintenance to do when; or, whether it's smart to install high compression pistons for example. Taking a class, or, getting someone with real experience to supervise your engine work is a good thing in my opinion.

I for one am getting wary of reading the mis-information the self proclaimed messiah of aircraft maintenance publishes every month. Please make sure you validate the "advice" you get from these articles before you take the information as the gospel.

The thread on the loss of compression and the posts about pulling the jugs and checking clearances and tolerances was yet another reminder about a reality for me: I don't **** about engines.

I don't know how to pull a cylinder. I don't know WHEN to pull a cylinder. I don't know what to do about a stuck valve even if I had one, which I don't.

Buy an airplane as a broke, just out of college person. Tulip a valve. Make friends with a good AI.

or

get an old 911. Get a divorce. Break some head studs.

IOW there's no better way to learn something than getting stuck in and just doing it.

Bob,

I'm betting you could find a well known engine shop to host you for a day or 2 then find a good A&P to follow around the firewall forward for a week or so. After that, do what you do best, write about it. I think your experience would be a great read.

Sorry Mike

Sorry Mike. My words were poorly chosen, and I'm no expert by any means. I admire real knowledge and experience wherever I find it. Men who earn a living working on airplanes today have enough pressure to deal with and I apologize for the negative tone of my comments. You're right to call me on it.

Sincerely,

John

The best bet is to go to Lycoming's school. Some of the things they teach are behind the times. They still recommend against LOP operation which to me is almost like believing the world is still flat. They still use silk string. They still use antiquated sealants and greases.

Treat every single article with a skeptics eye because NONE of the articles are vetted out.

If you want an exercise, rebuild a lawn mower engine. A Lycoming is really not much more complicated.

The best bet is to go to Lycoming's school. Some of the things they teach are behind the times. They still recommend against LOP operation which to me is almost like believing the world is still flat. They still use silk string. They still use antiquated sealants and greases.

Treat every single article with a skeptics eye because NONE of the articles are vetted out.

If you want an exercise, rebuild a lawn mower engine. A Lycoming is really not much more complicated.

+1 - - Then if you need something done you can either do it or be knowledgeable enough to get someone who can do the job. You are not going to end up knowing what the acceptable wear patterns are on main and rod bearings, or what the ring land clearances should be and what a piston should look like when you take it out in order to identify a problem. You WILL have more confidence to do routine things and set yourself on a new path of learning.

I look forward to your Kitplanes article on the Lycoming school.

Bob,

If there is a CAF chapter nearby get involved there, you can get engine repair experience every time you go.
Won't be lycomings but most of what you will learn will transfer and you'll get much more comfortable about tearing into an engine.

Glenn Wilkinson

Many years ago I worked in a shop as an apprentice thinking I wanted the mechanics license.
I quit.
Being a good aircraft mechanic takes years and years of experience, I didn't have the time being a full time pilot.
Engines are a specialty within that field. Guys like Allen Barrett know more about it than I ever will. So I rely on that kind of expertise.
Yes, it is not free. But it is worth the cost for me. If I have a problem I call BPE.

Last edited:
...The best bet is to go to Lycoming's school....

Plus 1. I attended the piston engine school and the disassembly/assembly school. The first was 4 days and the second 3 days. (You can schedule back to back with a weekend in Williamsport.) It may not sound exciting, but it was excellent. And, in almost 50 years of aviation, it turned out the be the best money I ever spent - it has paid for itself many times over.

Dan

Back