What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bucking rivets, building karma

I'm thinking that I might be a prospective -7 buyer at some point, and as such I'd like to start to get familiar with the whole rivet and sheetmetal thing -- if it doesn't get me greasy, have a keyboard, or utilize a remote then I tend to get abit lost..

I wanted to see if there was a builder in my local to somewhat local area who wanted a warm body to assist him/her in doing some riveting. I can learn all about it while building karma and providing you some building help. Thought I'd post here and see if anybody needed any help.

Mike

location location location.. :)

are you out in west Texas ? I am in south texas "Corpus Christi" no builders
around here.. but I could use the help.. :)

Danny..

Mike

Many people ask this same question when they are getting started. It isn't until you start building a plane of your own that you find out why most people don't jump at having someone come and "help out". Unless you're the on call bucking friend you would probably be treated as a guest. While having guests over to the hanger is great and sense most builders are quite proud of their planes they can't help but show them off. Guests generally bring all work to a stop though. You would get a better response if you just wanted to go for a ride. :D

So don't think that most RV builders are snobs for not suggesting you come over and help out. They just value their building time and know that if they are there by themselves they will get work done. You build most all the plane by yourself. Riveting is only a very small part of building a plane.

I'm sure someone has said this to you but go to one of those weekend classes. You don't have to do the week long tail class, just the one that has you build a little practice part. It doesn't take long to see if you like this whole building an airplane thing.

Weekend Classes?

N916K said:
Mike
I'm sure someone has said this to you but go to one of those weekend classes. You don't have to do the week long tail class, just the one that has you build a little practice part. It doesn't take long to see if you like this whole building an airplane thing.
So where would one find these weekend classes? I am in the DFW area and have checked into the local community colleges, etc., but the classes go on for a full semester! Do you know of any in N. Texas?

Thanks,
Mark

workshops

For SportAir weekend shops through EAA see...

http://www.sportair.com/

See also Van's site for build classes at...

http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/conclass.htm

Texas has two very reputable builders who provide classes on Van's site alone.

I would definitely encourage you to go to one of the classes well. Usually the people there are very experienced and, just as importantly, good teachers who know far more about building than even MOST builders do (myself DEFINITELY included) because they've "seen it all."

Good luck.

Steve

Another teacher -

http://www.wparvbuilders.nstemp.com/index.html

This is a great class, very hands on and with a guy (Tom Emery) who has tons of RV experience (built / flies one himself) and has helped many builders get started.

An intro class is a must, in my opinion - it makes things much easier and will probably save you $ on replacement parts down the road.

Thomas

You might want to check out EAA Chapter 1337 in Columbia. I also know that a couple of RV's have been completed in Oakdale. You might also consider getting the Van's starter/practice kit (have not seen one myself in person so consider that.) My local community college is also letting people take (similar to auditing) classes without taking the whole A and P program. N916K makes a good point about calling people to help rivet. In reality a factor is that you just don't do a whole lot of mass riveting without days and days of preparation work in between. The number of build hours/days actually spent doing mass riveting is actually less than you realize when compared to total build times. I think your best bet is to find the local EAA chapter and see if some of the members will teach you how to rivet using their tools so you don't have to buy your own. Keep in mind that if you do build an airplane you bettter plan on buying your own tools. If you can afford it, sure, I say take one of the classes or if you are really, really brave just buy some tools and get the tail kit going. You wouldn't be the first person to stop building at the tail kit, trust me. By the way Mike, the Golden West Fly-in is happening at Marysville this weekend June 3-5. Van's normally brings down a couple of planes. Also Merced has their fly-in the same weekend. There are usually some RV's there. And the big Bakersfield Chapter 71 BBQ is that Saturday also. Usually has a large RV/Rocket turnout. Just wear a bright pink t-shirt with "Sonora Mike" on it and we will find you. :D

Mark....

I am in Arlington, and you are more than welcome to come by sometime and check out my -9 progress. As far as DFW builder classes? I took the one from George Orndorff. He is at www.fly-gbi.com.

Back