VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-13-2018, 02:54 PM

Default Taper fin inter-cylinder baffles

As The ECI links are defunct from the earlier posts Iím wondering if Continental supplies the inter-cylinder baffle assemblies for the taper fin barrels. If anybody has used them ( if they exist ) how well did they fit ? Any help is appreciated.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:47 PM

I think they fit perfectly.

VAF Donation made: 3/31/2017, My RV-7A Build Log
Old 09-19-2018, 06:10 AM

Default Call or E-mail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theduff View Post
As The ECI links are defunct from the earlier posts Iím wondering if Continental supplies the inter-cylinder baffle assemblies for the taper fin barrels. If anybody has used them ( if they exist ) how well did they fit ? Any help is appreciated.
The guy to ask this question of would be James Ball at Titan "a.k.a." E.C.I., Conty. The good guys from San Antonio have moved to Al.
Hope this helps. Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888
Old 09-19-2018, 08:35 AM

Yep. 'JB' sold me my engine. Great guy!

VAF Donation made: 3/31/2017, My RV-7A Build Log
Old 09-19-2018, 09:34 AM

Default I did my own

Quote:
Originally Posted by theduff View Post
David,

I think I have the ECi baffle mod file at home on my computer. PM me and Iíll send it to you tomorrow if you want it. I did not end up using their solution. I ended up wrapping the lower cylinder fins in RTV impregnated fiberglass (as several other VAFers have done) and using the existing baffles essentially just to hold the cylinder wraps in place. The only other ďsealĒ I had to add was at the upper interface between the existing baffles and the wraps to make sure all of the cooling air is directed between the wraps and the fins (and not leaking around the outside surface of the wraps).

There is another solution (I believe in this thread) where a builder fabricated baffle segments that would fit the tapered sections, then cut off the existing baffle segments and riveted on the new ones. Very elegant, but the cylinder wrap method looked easier and just as effective. I did use the Drawing the other builder posted as part of his solution as a cutout template for the cylinder wraps.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed SeaSnake View Post
David,

I think I have the ECi baffle mod file at home on my computer. PM me and Iíll send it to you tomorrow if you want it. I did not end up using their solution. I ended up wrapping the lower cylinder fins in RTV impregnated fiberglass (as several other VAFers have done) and using the existing baffles essentially just to hold the cylinder wraps in place. The only other ďsealĒ I had to add was at the upper interface between the existing baffles and the wraps to make sure all of the cooling air is directed between the wraps and the fins (and not leaking around the outside surface of the wraps).

There is another solution (I believe in this thread) where a builder fabricated baffle segments that would fit the tapered sections, then cut off the existing baffle segments and riveted on the new ones. Very elegant, but the cylinder wrap method looked easier and just as effective. I did use the Drawing the other builder posted as part of his solution as a cutout template for the cylinder wraps.
Hi Jason,

It would be interesting to see some pictures of how you did your cylinder wraps. Can you please post some pictures or email them directly to me.

Thanks,
Mark
TreeTopFlyer33 at the gmail dot com