What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G3X Oil Pressure sensor

jotech

I'm New Here
Retro fitting RV9A with G3X touch, I noted in the G3X installation manual section

"26.5.13 Pressure Inputs
All pressure inputs are capable of accepting input voltages of up to 40 Vdc. The oil pressure input can also accommodate resistive and constant current source sensors"

It appears that the oil pressure sensor I have is a resistive type as is the fuel pressure gauge, I am unable to find where I can configure the Oil pressure gauge to be a RESISTIVE type, I am using the GEA24 with a GDU450.

Thanks in advance for any help

See Install Manual section 35.4.27.1. Page 771 It'll get you pretty close. 35.4.27.7 Has more details. You can select Custom Sensor there.

Last edited:
G3X oil pressure sensor

Thankyou AVIONICSR for replying, I had visited the sections in the installation manual you suggested, however I am unable to select anything in the custom setup that allows the resistance values to be used. I can only see options requiring a voltage. My thinking now is that I have to create potential divider using an additional resistor connected in series with the sensor, use the centre tap as the input to a custom gauge option. ?

Thanks

John

OK, I see your problem. You have to boot the panel in configuration mode, then go to engine and then to sensors. From there is it is hunt and find what you need. The actual configuration pages are not as illustrated in the manual as most of the others, or that is what I found. I have the GDU37xx not the 47XX and it is way different. I hooked up a power supply and spent some time poking around to understand how to access and change the screens. Good luck, the G3X guys will be available tomorrow.

Last edited:
You should be able to configure it as a voltage transducer. There should be an internal pullup in the GEA. I'm guessing your configuration is like the VDO sensor for the Jabiru on page 481 of the manual.

Do yourself a favor and replace them now with the "much more better" Kalvico 3 wire transducers that are standard Garmin kit items!

Last edited:
Hello John,

If you contact us by email shown below we are happy to work with you to figure out which oil pressure sensor you have and suggest the best way to make it work, but as Walt mentions, you would probably be much better off to install a Kavlico sensor (P/N 494-30004-00).

When I installed my G3X system in 2009 I had planned to use the existing VDO oil pressure sensor, but when I removed it and tested its performance against the published response curve, I lost faith in it and installed a much better Kavlico sensor which has been working perfectly since then.

Thanks,
Steve

Hello John,

If you contact us by email shown below we are happy to work with you to figure out which oil pressure sensor you have and suggest the best way to make it work, but as Walt mentions, you would probably be much better off to install a Kavlico sensor (P/N 494-30004-00).

When I installed my G3X system in 2009 I had planned to use the existing VDO oil pressure sensor, but when I removed it and tested its performance against the published response curve, I lost faith in it and installed a much better Kavlico sensor which has been working perfectly since then.

Thanks,
Steve

Sorry for any thread drift here, but may be interesting to the OP. I was about to post this in a different thread. I have seen the recommended instruments, but was wondering how much flexibility / configurability exists for working with instruments that do not match the list. For example, I used a 60 PSI kavlico knock off on my last system instead of the 50 PSI Kavlico (it had factors and offsets to support most anything). Are there there tools in the G3x to make this work? Another example is my desire to use a standard GM MAP sensor.

Feel free to point me to an appropriate place in the manual to figure this out (non-touch system)

Last edited:
G3X Sensors

Sorry for any thread drift here, but may be interesting to the OP. I was about to post this in a different thread. I have seen the recommended instruments, but was wondering how much flexibility / configurability exists for working with instruments that do not match the list. For example, I used a 60 PSI kavlico knock off on my last system instead of the 50 PSI Kavlico (it had factors and offsets to support most anything). Are there there tools in the G3x to make this work? Another example is my desire to use a standard GM MAP sensor.

Feel free to point me to an appropriate place in the manual to figure this out (non-touch system)

As Steve mentioned, contacting us about a specific sensor may be the easiest way to get an answer. We also outline all available sensor options in Section 24.1 of the installation manual which can be downloaded from here: https://support.garmin.com/support/manuals/manuals.htm?partNo=010-00G3X-00

As a general caution, unless you have a good understanding of sensor operation and have access to the sensor data sheets it may be simpler to use sensors specified by Garmin. Garmin offers a complete sensor package which is designed to work with the G3X. However, the G3X does have great flexibility to work with a wide variety of sensors.

If the sensor you are trying to interface is not listed in section 24.1, there are some custom configurations which can be set used to work with various sensors.

Regarding pressure sensors, there is a custom setting which allows the user to specify the sensor characteristics by plotting points to define the pressure vs voltage graph. This would work for your 60 psi pressure sensor provided you understand the characteristics of your sensor. I believe the GM MAP sensor is also supplying a voltage output, which could also use this custom setup. It is also important to know the current/voltage requirements to power the sensor to ensure it is wired properly into the system.

Here are screenshots of the custom sensor calibration page for a pressure sensor where you can create the calibration table.

G3X Touch:
lBAjxFGgSwvK3eGUS-bbX9zPjVRqQwu-QVs34XrKvGbcoROFCB5-UrUhbngx2LZugFIXybmaid89ULPUfojhD59rMglIs0ZHrp9hZEi7oQc9gYY4ywAVIUIIXFwPnkbdxvCCmpIvGmfUw4hA6uVF67twSUyYXlbVt0Z3U7TQdhtCZN9P4GBYj6Qhpb3YYXNAn-RyfV_ijBWqB96znYUXTwiHS1KoFkbLAt5F3PzKE3okUN6YoSGKHjyCidZ3kixy8En3U0noMA3H7DE0hWGvreu-9QVyco5n6raAW1bEs64_LD7j2t0y48yP9o4UXhCzC3n-vouV10DqvNB_M5qzr0Sf0qxAXbIkTsVikG3YZf243RU2ryilPbC9Jg0u87D7qPPA34CT0PhMddD8OmtTkxslD9UDuUuS-oIiW6pqK3kS6azDWfVoqJT13TPQVzdBJMNguwSyFSpPNHEWrovNGsu_6dxpdS-ZQEev_DyKdNSxEgczHw_svOSoxNHASci3d6RBnHpWiPvA0YAIfdy7QxDoiKCWDCz3WzxvlVxyj1RwS1ik4vMcB2glXPt4SMGwa9D48bbybBiB548z0CH-rNksyb-XG7C5Sjc55OCX_CF3m1lrSnu-dwWqf9d13wIOb8elYUACOXksLYTi4kfgXRaoQ8jZD8Py1n_DC_s8J1UNkYQrlZRKzalb0g=w965-h576-no

G3X:
yjYYPX1V9QMHQ31gDrxACbCSho9VxEklZxtcsJEdVft-lB4xLP_dMoYTnnJs37divQ8iS2vVgq_5Htx2O92HCKnmkR-a12jVNQVCiN8QIfZ5UsPU9ynPpXcPrgjolsSUghhgwJoAziGW6tO_eTJfPCKL_7VmT9TNI7bpVixpgqnC373Y60S3cRMLWKkV2KnWFF31mLiTXnn2O851v_Ix8bT4kK226qZG4_yM77RcfbkD44ypBcjeuarCOTaL98Fhom1jo5tr7_OoMXnw1DJaTYCL_snWoTNMQa4sOvRTpiufWWfcG40AKVhcDmCIEv9YKjDdD3OuCxpmI0shoNC1PnLnTHxJvvEndajggqSzgO9wnSIXur3OR8i-Yhp9l26kIClz0a9BiC4tIpIFawdNxcky-NkNDcW8e_GxC0WpBEa_DmXJ3cuFD6Nw1hOcm2mNxikFNdA43q7VRRvqm1wqXWdRTtjMBbGT7HKASgx0yY0iSdL_YfN5pMwxVoqhNy2oME1bdI9MMgQ9mCTejy3xAw0eZ-FwrVK6YaNIJRyZak_TddYJFWciNrp9LsoNS2fZ6nxgH6Q4kB7gMtS3Rs79bSD6IC1gsphUatcAQPL9mq7HzhgMy-_EVwImZHY0uZOpconyBon5Xu6lmcXjTs2MFrtmtJBOZlHjeMlXI9GTstFj2Zx0i80ThxOEiA=w360-h600-no

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Thanks,
Levi

As Steve mentioned, contacting us about a specific sensor may be the easiest way to get an answer. We also outline all available sensor options in Section 24.1 of the installation manual which can be downloaded from here: https://support.garmin.com/support/manuals/manuals.htm?partNo=010-00G3X-00

As a general caution, unless you have a good understanding of sensor operation and have access to the sensor data sheets it may be simpler to use sensors specified by Garmin. Garmin offers a complete sensor package which is designed to work with the G3X. However, the G3X does have great flexibility to work with a wide variety of sensors.

If the sensor you are trying to interface is not listed in section 24.1, there are some custom configurations which can be set used to work with various sensors.

Regarding pressure sensors, there is a custom setting which allows the user to specify the sensor characteristics by plotting points to define the pressure vs voltage graph. This would work for your 60 psi pressure sensor provided you understand the characteristics of your sensor. I believe the GM MAP sensor is also supplying a voltage output, which could also use this custom setup. It is also important to know the current/voltage requirements to power the sensor to ensure it is wired properly into the system.

Here are screenshots of the custom sensor calibration page for a pressure sensor where you can create the calibration table.

G3X Touch:
lBAjxFGgSwvK3eGUS-bbX9zPjVRqQwu-QVs34XrKvGbcoROFCB5-UrUhbngx2LZugFIXybmaid89ULPUfojhD59rMglIs0ZHrp9hZEi7oQc9gYY4ywAVIUIIXFwPnkbdxvCCmpIvGmfUw4hA6uVF67twSUyYXlbVt0Z3U7TQdhtCZN9P4GBYj6Qhpb3YYXNAn-RyfV_ijBWqB96znYUXTwiHS1KoFkbLAt5F3PzKE3okUN6YoSGKHjyCidZ3kixy8En3U0noMA3H7DE0hWGvreu-9QVyco5n6raAW1bEs64_LD7j2t0y48yP9o4UXhCzC3n-vouV10DqvNB_M5qzr0Sf0qxAXbIkTsVikG3YZf243RU2ryilPbC9Jg0u87D7qPPA34CT0PhMddD8OmtTkxslD9UDuUuS-oIiW6pqK3kS6azDWfVoqJT13TPQVzdBJMNguwSyFSpPNHEWrovNGsu_6dxpdS-ZQEev_DyKdNSxEgczHw_svOSoxNHASci3d6RBnHpWiPvA0YAIfdy7QxDoiKCWDCz3WzxvlVxyj1RwS1ik4vMcB2glXPt4SMGwa9D48bbybBiB548z0CH-rNksyb-XG7C5Sjc55OCX_CF3m1lrSnu-dwWqf9d13wIOb8elYUACOXksLYTi4kfgXRaoQ8jZD8Py1n_DC_s8J1UNkYQrlZRKzalb0g=w965-h576-no

G3X:
yjYYPX1V9QMHQ31gDrxACbCSho9VxEklZxtcsJEdVft-lB4xLP_dMoYTnnJs37divQ8iS2vVgq_5Htx2O92HCKnmkR-a12jVNQVCiN8QIfZ5UsPU9ynPpXcPrgjolsSUghhgwJoAziGW6tO_eTJfPCKL_7VmT9TNI7bpVixpgqnC373Y60S3cRMLWKkV2KnWFF31mLiTXnn2O851v_Ix8bT4kK226qZG4_yM77RcfbkD44ypBcjeuarCOTaL98Fhom1jo5tr7_OoMXnw1DJaTYCL_snWoTNMQa4sOvRTpiufWWfcG40AKVhcDmCIEv9YKjDdD3OuCxpmI0shoNC1PnLnTHxJvvEndajggqSzgO9wnSIXur3OR8i-Yhp9l26kIClz0a9BiC4tIpIFawdNxcky-NkNDcW8e_GxC0WpBEa_DmXJ3cuFD6Nw1hOcm2mNxikFNdA43q7VRRvqm1wqXWdRTtjMBbGT7HKASgx0yY0iSdL_YfN5pMwxVoqhNy2oME1bdI9MMgQ9mCTejy3xAw0eZ-FwrVK6YaNIJRyZak_TddYJFWciNrp9LsoNS2fZ6nxgH6Q4kB7gMtS3Rs79bSD6IC1gsphUatcAQPL9mq7HzhgMy-_EVwImZHY0uZOpconyBon5Xu6lmcXjTs2MFrtmtJBOZlHjeMlXI9GTstFj2Zx0i80ThxOEiA=w360-h600-no

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Thanks,
Levi

Thanks! This is helpful. I have the charts for both sensors and will reach out via email if I have any problems setting these up.

Larry

That custom sensor accommodation of the G3X is great. I have readouts for showing timing of my Lightspeed ignition, and evaporator temp and hi-side pressure of my A/C system.

Interestingly, our 2003 Silverado has a Kavlico oil pressure sensor as original equipment, even with the same plug as we use in our airplanes. At 60k miles and 10 years, it started reading low and had to replace it.

Last edited:
Oil pressure gauge

So I am right in thinking that I need to make a simple modification to generate a voltage as the G3X system does not have the capability to use the resistance value directly for Oil or Fuel pressure indication.

Last edited:
Oil pessure sensor

Built a little device to reliably provide a voltage to the GEA24 oil pressure input, using custom gauge calibration. Ran the engine today and worked great. Will build a duplicate circuit and try same thing for the fuel pressure indication.

:D happy days

Back