What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Has Anyone Tried This With SW P60 Primer

djborko11

Read many of the posts on here and made a couple trial runs yesterday on some scrap material. My intent was to get the gun setup correctly and learn how to put down the minimum amount of the stuff.

Taking the advice found here about the 1:2 ratio (primer to catalyst) rather than 1:1.5 - this stuff can be challenging getting it to lay down nicely without mottling. Even at 1:2 ratio the mottling was quite bad initially.

Rather than mix up a new batch with even more catalyst (like 1:3), I had about 4 oz left in the mixing cup and so a thought occurred to me that maybe the mix could be reduced with a bit of lacquer thinner. So I added about an oz of lacquer thinner to the mix - and yes I am aware of SW statement about not using anything but the recommended catalyst.

The results were excellent. I was able to get a nice consistent light coat with the reduced mix. I tested both samples for adhesion (gorilla tape pull test & razor scraping) and cannot detect a difference in adhesion.

Curious to know if anyone has tried this and if I'm asking for trouble down the road? Lacquer thinner is a lot cheaper than the catalyst and seems to help lay down a nice light coat.

--db--

It sounds as if you may be trying to put down too thick a coat. This stuff needs only a VERY thin coat.
Properly applied, you should almost have to hold a piece of bare aluminum next to it to tell if it's been sprayed.

I've been using SW Wash primer for over 30 years and never had problem with the manufacturer's recommended ratio.

Last edited:
my experience

Mel, do you think this type of primer would hold up to being dimpled after being sprayed?

I have been using this stuff for two years at 1:2. and dimpling after prime with no problem.
I tried the 1:1.5 and it didn't come out well with my dry ambient conditions. JMHO. YMMV

I have done the tail, wings and aft fuse and still have some in the gallon can, so it goes a long ways.

P60G2

Agreed. Mix 1:2. Spray two light coats 90 degrees from each other. You shwould barely see a change in color. It gets darker as it hardens. Very tough stuff. I sprayed Jet Flex Solvent Based on interior components within a 30 minute window. Also tough but I rubbed parts down with a clamber for a super smooth finish.

Back