What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Archer antenna interference

rvdave

Well Known Member
I have two archer nav antennae, one gives excellent reception , the other struggles and is marginal but with a different receiver. I have lights at the front of the wingtips with wiring routed per plans but because of the light, some wiring is possibly interfering electrically or rf receptivity for lack of ways to describe the problem. Wondering though if aluminum taping of the wires in question would possibly shield them of interfering?

There are many things you can check and do for RFI issues. Adding aluminum tape as shielding is not one of them.

Happy to discuss over the phone if you like. If so, PM me your contact information.

Carl

'Easy first' is a prime directive in troubleshooting.

Can you swap antenna feeds at the radios? You could have a radio problem instead of an antenna problem.

If you routed the wires on both antennas as Archer specifies, and one side works while the other doesn't, I'd suspect either antenna grounding issues, or coax issues (typically terminations).

Charlie

In addition to switching antennas, unhook the ground from the ?bad? antenna in the wingtip. If reception then turns ?normal? your coax is grounded, likely at the bnc connector.

Back