What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron trim

Do you have the aileron trim installed

• Total voters

Janekom

Well Known Member
Patron
I thought the aileron trim is very useful. Others seem to differ. Can you guys please tell if you have it installed or not

Glad I have it and would install if building again. Aircraft is fairly sensitive to fuel/payload imbalance. I would not install an electric rudder trim again, but might install one of the spring bias mechanical rudder trim systems.

I have it but don't use it much. Truth in lending: on x-country flights I rarely hand fly in cruise where aileron trim would be useful and my autopilot hasn't bitched about a heavy wing. ;)

I have it but don't use it much. Truth in lending: on x-country flights I rarely hand fly in cruise where aileron trim would be useful and my autopilot hasn't bitched about a heavy wing. ;)

+1 sort of. I don't have it, rarely miss it because usually the autopilot is flying. I do practice and fly hand-flown approaches and then I wish I had it. If doing over, I'd put it in. OTOH my rudder trim is a fixed wedge and I'm perfectly satisfied with that.

PS If you have a heavy wing one thing to check is the vertical height of the leading edge of the aileron, relative to the wing. 1/16" makes a real difference (high = heavy). Vans sells undrilled brackets for this very reason.

I have the manual trim.

On long cross country and short local flights, I trim the plane, even if using the autopilot.

I've got the manual trim also. Works great!

I have a slightly heavy right wing, but the trim takes care of it so I haven't gone to measures like the wedge or tweaking the flap position.

If you put it in, make sure you crank down the pinch bolt on the UHMW bearing block a ton..."too tight" won't seem that way when you use it; set it too loose and it might not hold the setting.

I have Van's servo operated, spring biased, manual aileron trim. The cool part is my G3X autopilot automatically adjusts that aileron trim servo to take load off the A/P servo as fuel is burned, which causes an increasingly heavy wing. I am glad I have it.

Auto-Pilot control of Aileron Trim

I also have the G3X Garmin. Long story, but I discovered that the power going to the (left wing) aileron trim comes from the (right wing) auto-pilot servo. I called Aerotronics who built my panel as to why they would wire it in that manner.

They said that the autopilot trims the plane neutral before taking over. I see advantages in that, i.e. less stress on the autopilot servo.

I have Van's servo operated, spring biased, manual aileron trim. The cool part is my G3X autopilot automatically adjusts that aileron trim servo to take load off the A/P servo as fuel is burned, which causes an increasingly heavy wing. I am glad I have it.

I would really like to see a picture of that. My -4 project has a big ugly aileron tab with gaps and horns. I wuld like to replace it with an internal system. Since I already have the Ray Allen servo I figure I should use that to drive the spring system. Any guidance appreciated.

Back