What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Odd Squeak...does it matter ?

istrumit

Well Known Member
My -10 has an odd 'squeak', more like a low frequency vibration, when moving the stick rapidly left or right.

If you move it slowly left/right, its quiet...but if you move it rapidly, it has this odd vibration....like a shaft moving through a slightly worn/sloppy grommet ?

I noticed it the other day while on the ground, engine off...maybe been there forever...but I'm not sure.

Any idea what this is ?

I didn't build the plane...it has about 500 hours TT.

Scott

14 owner but I would pull the inspection panels and check everything .. probably nothing but could be something working its way loose. There's nothing really all that complicated in the linkage system, easy inspection. Start with the ailerons before moving into the cabin.

Last edited:
My first guess is the autopilot roll servo. Mine is an RV9a but I noticed the different feel/noise after autopilot install. It's hardly noticeable in a quiet hangar and is the normal drag of the servos on mine. Both pitch and roll.

My first guess is the autopilot roll servo. Mine is an RV9a but I noticed the different feel/noise after autopilot install. It's hardly noticeable in a quiet hangar and is the normal drag of the servos on mine. Both pitch and roll.

I second this. I have a TrueTrak autopilot and serves. Normal servo operation.

Don't guess or take anyone else's guess. They may be correct, but what if they aren't?

Take the access panels off, have somebody move the stick while you locate the source of the noise. Start with the one next to the servo.

Once found, then you can make the determination that it's no big deal or something that you have to address.

It could also be the aileron trim spring if you have the aileron trim option installed. Agree with Bob - find the cause.

I heard a squeal and then a pop when I moved the ailerons. I kept looking (and not flying) until I found it:

The left flap hinge pin had slid outboard just enough to engage the inboard side of the aileron and the pop was due to the aileron bending the hinge pin until it bent enough to then release.

New and exciting pre-flight check!

Last edited:
I heard a scrape and then a pop when I moved the ailerons. I kept looking (and not flying) until I found it:

The left flap hinge pin had slid outboard just enough to engage the inboard side of the aileron and the pop was due to the aileron bending the hinge pin until it bent enough to then release.

New and exciting pre-flight check!

No safety wire on it to prevent it moving?

One idea

One possibility is the rod that connects the stick linkages for left-right movement. It runs between the sticks perpendicular through the tunnel. If I recall correctly, you have to relieve some of the tunnel side opening so that rod doesn't rub on it. If the noise happens regardless of where the stick is forward/aft then this probably isn't it. If it only happens when you move it left-right in one fore/aft position then it might be.

A few folks said it was the TruTrak roll servo.

Interestingly, the roll server was what I was checking, since it stopped working a few flights ago, but now is working again....

Its always something....lol

A few folks said it was the TruTrak roll servo.

Interestingly, the roll server was what I was checking, since it stopped working a few flights ago, but now is working again....

Its always something....lol

ok, next step. Why did the servo fail? Bad servo, loose connection, etc.

Don't let intermittent issues go unchecked, because they will fail when it most inconvenience you.

Don't guess or take anyone else's guess. They may be correct, but what if they aren't?

Take the access panels off, have somebody move the stick while you locate the source of the noise. Start with the one next to the servo.

Once found, then you can make the determination that it's no big deal or something that you have to address.

I agree.

With airplanes, a squeak is not necessarily an indication of something bad, but a squeak with a yet to be determined cause could be very serious.

An airplane should not be flown until a determination can be made regarding whether it is serious or not.

SOLVED: I disconnected the rod from the servo...no more odd rolling sound.

So, it was definitely the roll servo. I've just never noticed the sound before.

Now, to try to figure out why my servo holds briefly and then releases every two or three seconds. Loose connection on the back of the unit is my best guess.

More to come.

Back