What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skybeacon

I really wish I could use the Tail Beacon in my 8, but I want to be able to fly down to Mexico, and it doesn't seem like these will meet those requirements. :-/

Just heard from a friend that the SkyBeacon and TailBeacon are going to be updated to 1090ES sometime in the future!! Apparently there will be updates available for existing units as well.

I thought the 1090 ES "Out"

came from the transponder---my uavionix Echo does 978 out but will "receive" 978 or 1090.

Ron

Edit --- Just read the later posts --- will be interested to see the cost and "available" date.

Last edited:
That's quite a mixedmessage rumor.

UAT out is 978mhz.

Mode C, S, ES, ETC out is 1090.

Maybe uAvionix is planning on building a transponder?

Just heard from a friend that the SkyBeacon and TailBeacon are going to be updated to 1090ES sometime in the future!! Apparently there will be updates available for existing units as well.
Don't let the facts get in the way of a good rumor. ;)

"As on the skyBeacon, the new X model will fit on a wingtip and replace nav or nav/strobe assemblies already in place. Each module includes a WAAS GPS position source, 1090 mHz Mode S transponder, a barometric altimeter, and LED position and strobe lights."

Notice the last sentence in the press release: "Certification is "expected" in 2021".

:cool:

Last edited:
uaVionix Tail beacon

I'm planning to install the uAvonix tail beacon in my Vans 9A. I currently have a Whelen strobe/white marker. I looked at the mounting diagrams. The bolt circle for the proposed uAvonix device is 0.030" larger in diameter. Did the uAvonix device fit without any modifications to the existing Whelen tail beacon housing?

Did you have to change weight and balance? Did you get any rudder "flutter" with the uAvionix device?

Back