What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Paint job

AlaskaRV

What is a fair price to pay for strip and paint of rv 6A that is high quality without getting to exotic? Recommended painters west of Mississippi? Thanks

$10-12k. GLO Custom is a good one out of the Dallas area.

Thanks!
-Jason

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the price change much if it's still in bare aluminum?

That's dependent on your prep work. If you show up with ready to paint items, the price goes down substantially.

I have an agreement with a local aviation paint shop for $3k in shop time plus materials to paint my -10 with a relatively simple scheme. That price is predicated on everything being ready to paint - the only prep work included on the $3k is to etch and alodine the aluminum and to scuff sand the fiberglass. They are also responsible for masking.

Just a data point for reference. I got a quote to paint my -6A for 10K. I decided to do it myself and still spent 10K.

Colors were red, white, blue, gold (yellow) PPG Concept single stage, plus primer and degreaser. The biggest single expense was 1K for a HVLP Sata-Jet gun plus the 3M cups and liners.

I did not save any time over what the shop estimated, about 7 weeks. I worked on it pretty much full time.

I just picked my RV8 up today from GLO Aircraft Painting near Dallas. $11.5K for three colors, non-metallic. They weren?t the cheapest, but they weren?t the most expensive either. The highest was almost $30K for base/clear cut and polished. My GLO paint job was single stage. I went with them because they were the most experienced in painting RV?s that I could find, and there were many recommendations on this site, and from a couple friends that went with GLO. Painting an aircraft is a huge job and it?s worth it to find someone with a lot of experience.

I got three quotes that were references from Scheme Designers for a strip and repaint of an RV8 ranging from 10-12k. One in PA, one in NY and one in VT. That all had very nice looking RV references.

Back