What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gary Newstead

AL_O_Dine

Whatever happened to Gary Newstead? He was all into the Subaru conversion back in the day with Jan, and now I don't see anything online regarding him or his plane.

Is he still flying it? Did he swap the Subaru out with a Lycoming?

Is he still showing up at Oshkosh?

And who was that popular RV7 guy with the big engine and website with like 10,000 photos of his build? He disappeared into the wind too.

Did they both become monks?

Whatever happened to Gary Newstead? He was all into the Subaru conversion back in the day with Jan, and now I don't see anything online regarding him or his plane.

Is he still flying it? Did he swap the Subaru out with a Lycoming?

Is he still showing up at Oshkosh?

And who was that popular RV7 guy with the big engine and website with like 10,000 photos of his build? He disappeared into the wind too.

Did they both become monks?

I don't know about the first guy you mention, but I believe the second guy is Dan Checkoway. He's still around. He will occasionally comment on a thread here. He went through some significant life changes, but I believe he came out okay. For one thing he developed and maintains the very useful Weathermeister web site which is one of the very best sources of flight planning information you can use. I never met him, but he impresses me as a very busy guy.

I know Gary Newstead got involved with putting together an installation manual for the 4 cylinder subaru which he was installing at the time. And at some point he was working with Eggenfellner.

Maybe Gary is still laying low after all the disgruntled subie customers.

Yes, Dan Checkoway, that's the guy I was thinking of.

It would have been nice if he left some of the photos up for others to reference.
He had good clear photos.

Back