VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-10-2019, 10:57 AM

This is looking awesome and sounding like a great fit for my future kitfox project A couple questions:

- AOA support in development?
- Is the code open source?
- What kinds of knobs/buttons are you using? I've found that for example the Garmin knobs feel much more solid than the Dynon knobs/buttons.
- Any electronic circuit breaker system in the future?
- I notice the rpm in the video is flickering into the red. Signal smoothing issue or were you just flying close to redline?
- Will you be at OSH where we can see it in person?
- Synthetic vision?
- charts? How do they get updated?
- flight plan integration with foreflight/gpilot?

Thanks!
-Guil
Old 07-10-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfb View Post
- AOA support in development?
On the list as a to-do item. We will probably go with a calculated (rather than measured with an additional pitot line) solution.

Quote:
- Is the code open source?
No. I contribute to the Stratux project (both by buying stuff from Chris and by occasional code contributions) but I can't afford to open source this.

Quote:
- What kinds of knobs/buttons are you using? I've found that for example the Garmin knobs feel much more solid than the Dynon knobs/buttons.
The encoders are generic, but I tested a bunch of variants before selecting this one. It has a solid feel with clear detents. We're also using knurled aluminum guitar knobs, which give it distinct, solid grip. The buttons are simple SPST tactile switches. They're not mil-spec but they do the job.

Quote:
- Any electronic circuit breaker system in the future?
I run hot and cold on the idea. I may at some point add support for VPs product, but frankly it seems like a $2k solution to a $100 problem. I used Klixons for the 6A because I already had a bunch. If I had been starting from scratch I might have gone with auto fuses ala the RV-12.

Quote:
- I notice the rpm in the video is flickering into the red. Signal smoothing issue or were you just flying close to redline?
That was a signal issue. I was using an unshielded line from the mag switch to the input. It was apparently picking up noise that caused the RPM 1 input to peak out as you saw there. A shielded line and a bit more of a filter seem to have fixed it.

Quote:
- Will you be at OSH where we can see it in person?
Yep. I have a booth in Hangar A - Aircraft Spruce. Number 1043. On the left-hand side towards the back. I'll also have the 6A there (in homebuilt parking, not the booth) so you can check out the installation.

Quote:
- Synthetic vision?
On the list. It looks so cool, but frankly I have yet to hear of anyone who's life has been saved by SV. It will probably arrive along with on-the-map color coded terrain some time next year.

Quote:
- charts? How do they get updated?
There's a download function built into the app. Connect to the Internet over Wifi or 4G, go to Settings, Downloads, and tap the update button. The download is about 90 MB and includes the data for airspace, airports, obstacles, etc. That gets drawn on top of base maps that are one-time downloads.

I don't currently have support in there for "classic" charts - VFR sectionals, IVR low / high, FAA airport diagrams. I may find a way to do those or I may see if Seattle Avionics can sell updates.

The real challenge is anywhere outside of the USA. Apparently other CAAs are not as open with their databases.

Quote:
- flight plan integration with foreflight/gpilot?
Already have basic integration with FF. Enter a flight plan in FF, tap the Share button and you'll see "FlightBox" as a destination. Tap that and we load the plan. No plans for integration with GP - they're not into playing with others.

RV-6A N101PR at KRHV
2019 =VAF= Donation Paid
Open Flight Solutions - Maker Of FlightBox ADS-B
(VAF Supporter / Advertiser)
Old 07-10-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssokol View Post
That's what we're calling FlightBar - it adds two knobs and six buttons to the system, giving the iPad a set of "hard" controls. Touch screens are great in smooth air, but almost unusable in the bumps.

FlightBar is the fix for that. The knobs controls zoom on the MFD and various values (baro, bugs, etc.) on the PFD. The buttons map to the soft buttons at the bottom of the screen. Makes the system even easier to use.

Here's a pic that makes it a bit easier to see:

Very nice and for some reason you remind me of Hilton when he was starting.

I have a Dynon D-180 and everything else you see on my signature line here. I also have a borrowed Stratux for testing adsb-in and WingX. I was considering replacing the D-180 with a Skyview for their synthetic vision and because I find myself using WingX Pro on my iPad so much for information I could get in my 496 but it’s easier on the iPad.

Your system has me rethinking everything. Should I email you directly or do you prefer to do it here?
RV-8 N52VM: Dynon D-180, Autopilot, Titan 0-360A1A, Hartzell C/S, INS-429 IFR, WingX & Stratux for backup & ADS-B IN. Enjoying life while building a FREE campsite for pilots www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/

Exempt by 3 out of the 10 ways but I still donated.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot135pd View Post
Should I email you directly or do you prefer to do it here?
Feel free to ask any general / technical questions here - that helps everyone. For questions about ordering, pricing, etc. it's probably best to email me.

RV-6A N101PR at KRHV
2019 =VAF= Donation Paid
Old 07-10-2019, 10:30 PM

How is the FlightBar connected into the iPad bluetooth? Could we use that stand alone with firelight for example or does it require some of the other components in your install?
Old 07-10-2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmatt View Post
How is the FlightBar connected into the iPad bluetooth? Could we use that stand alone with firelight for example or does it require some of the other components in your install?
It does indeed use the wireless technology you mention. (We are not members of the consortium - cartel? - that makes that technology, so apparently we are not allowed to mention its name.)

I would be open to working with ForeFlight or any of the other EFB manufacturers to add support for it, but at this time it only works with FlightView.

RV-6A N101PR at KRHV
2019 =VAF= Donation Paid
Old 07-11-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
It does indeed use the wireless technology you mention. (We are not members of the consortium - cartel? - that makes that technology, so apparently we are not allowed to mention its name.)

I would be open to working with ForeFlight or any of the other EFB manufacturers to add support for it, but at this time it only works with FlightView.
That was going to be my first question also because I use WingX so that halts every other question for now. Thanks.
RV-8 N52VM: Dynon D-180, Autopilot, Titan 0-360A1A, Hartzell C/S, INS-429 IFR, WingX & Stratux for backup & ADS-B IN. Enjoying life while building a FREE campsite for pilots www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/

Old 07-11-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
I'm interested too. I've taken it to a few pretty hot places here in California and the only significant challenge has been cooling the iPads if you leave them in the airplane on the ramp. I flew down to Paso Robles (KPRB) a few weeks ago - before the upgrade - and left the iPad in the RAM mount. When I came back out to the ramp after lunch it was too hot to operate. I put it in the shade for about 10 minutes and it came back online.

The cooling mount that we're offering (FlightDock) includes a variable speed fan with a thermal control module. It keeps a constant medium-volume flow of air across the back of the iPad. As the panel heats up, the controller speeds up the fan. On a truly hot day (I've tested it up to 109°F) it blasts the iPad.

iOS includes and API that allows the app to subscribe to the thermal stress state of the system. FlightView subscribes to this and uses it to monitor the health of the platform. The scale is pretty rough: nominal; fair; serious; critical. The OS starts throttling the CPUs if you tread into "serious" territory. The app includes a little thermometer icon that appears if the stress level gets above fair. Yellow = serious. Red = critical. For whatever it's worth, I've never seen red in flight.

I have seen yellow on some iPad models, and the performance definitely degrades a bit. I'm working on some code changes that will being disabling various secondary features which require quite a bit of power. This should help.

Finally, I'm working on a different cooling rig for the FlightDock. It uses a thermoelectric cooler module (Peltier) to chill the iPad. The design I have can be easily swapped in if you happen to live in a particularly hot place. It will probably add something like $100 to the total cost and will draw a good bit of power (upwards of 5 amps at 14v) when running.
Can't find the FLightDock anywhere under Products or Store on your website.

Old 07-11-2019, 03:51 PM

Steve, you are being quite patient with all of these questions. One more: How does the TruTrak interface with the system?
Old 07-11-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot135pd View Post
Can't find the FLightDock anywhere under Products or Store on your website.

Under the video, select the “pricing “ tab. The FlightBar shows $200 and FlightDock $200

https://www.openflightsolutions.com/flightview/

Tim
KCHD AZ
‘’’’’’’’’’’__|__
*>—O-(_)-O—<*