What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Capping the fiberglass tips

RVdreamin

Guys....Closing or capping the fibeglass tips for the HS and VS. Any particular brand of fiberglass or just go to the auto store and get what they have available? Also any comments or experience to share would be appreciated. Van's recommends West System resin. Should I pursue getting that?

As always....thanks for your help.

Those areas are so small and non-structural that the weight or type of fiberglass cloth matters little. The West Systems products are tried and true ... And hard to beat. I stayed with them throughout the build and am pleased I did.

Get the West System epoxy. You'll use it throughout the build on the canopy, cowling and wheel pants/fairing.

I filled the open ends of my tips with aluminum sheet, then bonded them in with a nice structural fillet of epoxy and flox on the interior. The exterior got smoothed out with epoxy and micro mixture.

IMG_1871-M.jpg

IMG_1870-M.jpg

The aluminum is much easier to fit and insert than trying to lay up fiberglass over the open ends.

Like Bruce, I used aluminum. I got a couple AL step shingles at lowes and cut them to fit with scissors. A small bend and a few blind rivets, then west system epoxy. The blind rivets were drilled out - just used to hold things together until I got the epoxy to set. I did use blue foam to hold it in the correct position to fit the aluminum. Just make sure it is concave and nothing sticks out to rub.

Another vote for West Systems epoxy. Man, it gets hot with a vengeance when it finally lights off! I used foam ribs, with fiberglass on both front and back, and then finished with a fillet of filler. Probably overkill, but it's critical that these pieces are solid.

I recommend getting the ratio pumps to mix the epoxy...One push on the resin can, and one push on the hardener, and you're good to go.

Last edited:
Back