What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flight Testing Aerobatic Maneuvers

boom3

Well Known Member
How do Aerobatics fit into flght testing? Phase 1? After Phase 1?

I'm interested, with proper instruction, in performing "gentlemans" aerobatics in my RV-7/A. Loops, rolls, split S, immelmann, spins.

On my program letter I would state that "Yes" this aircraft is capable of aerobatic manuevers.

I have the placard "Aerobatic Limitations; Refer to the operating Limitations for aerobatic maneuvers permited in this aircraft."

I would suspect you need to perform these manuevers during testing? Would you typically perform them after phase 1 with an instructor?

I guess typically when and how do the desired manuevers get added to the operating limitations?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Aerobatic testing must be accomplished within phase I.
If you do the testing within your INITIAL phase I, it is to be done after all other testing is completed.
If you don't feel comfortable enough to do aerobatic testing at this point, as most people don't, you can put the aircraft back into phase I at a later time in accordance with paragraph (19) of the operating limitations.

The exact wording for including the maneuvers is including in paragraph (16) of the operating limitations.

Last edited:
RV Aerobatics instruction

Jeff, I would just like to add this: Once you get some quality acro instruction, be sure to get some training with someone who is familiar with the aerobatic capabilities and stall/spin characteristics of the RV.

The Split-S is a great manuever, but it can get you in trouble real guick if flown improperly. Stall/spins at the top and overspeed/over "G" situations at the bottom are just a couple of the "uh-oh" scenarios.

Don't let that spook you, though. The RV is a great platform for gentleman's acro, and with the proper instruction, it will provide you with years of looping and rolling fun!

JJH

Back