What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Possible Move To Austin - Hangar Availability?

ssokol

Well Known Member
Sponsor
There's a chance I'll be moving to Austin in late spring / early summer. Anyone know if there are hangars to be had at any of the local airports?

Hangar Availability

I can tell you that I was on a waiting list for EIGHT years and just got a hangar at San Marcos airport. (That's just the city hangars....)

Same situation at other local airports like Georgetown where I?m located. Some lots to build your own around, but pretty pricey.

Price to pay for having a very high Austin area growth rate...

Not sure what part of town you will be in but there is an add on the internet for openings at San Marcos Regional (KHYI),(about 30 min south). Says special pricing for RVs.

Wow - Even the Bay Area has more hangar space...

available than Austin! My wife and I spent the morning calling all the airports in a 1 hour radius of where we're hoping to live and they're all booked for the next four to seven years. When we moved out here a couple of years ago we managed to score a T-hangar at KRHV with zero wait.

I could live with the RV on a tie-down for a few months, but the idea of letting it sit out in the Texas sun (and Texas hail) for years on end is daunting.

Anyone in the South Texas area have an outdoor RV? How has it faired? Any chance anyone might want to go in on a ground lease at any of the nearby airports in the near future?

(Oh, and in response to the question about the relative quick turn: the Bay Area rent is to d*mn high!)

Steve,

It may not be inexpensive, but don?t forget that calling around to the local FBO?s may be a way to get into a community hangar? Also, maybe try a few of the local EAA chapters?

Josh

Check out Smithville - 84R. There was one available recently. It?s about 40+ mins outside of Austin depending on where you live but its a nice drive and typically minimal traffic.

I'm not familiar enough with the Austin area to give specific recommendations, but you might try looking at residential air parks in the area. Someone might have room in a hangar they'd rent out. That might be the kind of fruit that a chat with a local EAA meeting would bear.

I'm not familiar enough with the Austin area to give specific recommendations, but you might try looking at residential air parks in the area. Someone might have room in a hangar they'd rent out. That might be the kind of fruit that a chat with a local EAA meeting would bear.

Not even possible at Breakaway.

Hangarminium?

Have one I am selling at Fentress airpark. XS90 in AirNav. One Mile East of the tollway between Austin and San Antonio.

About 8 mi Southeast of San Marcos airport.

65x65 hanger with 1500 ft?, two bedroom two and a half bath apartment inside. 1 acre lot and you own the land.

Email me if you want more info.

[email protected]

Back