What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Switch & Breaker "Flow"?

dmat

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Hey all,

About to get started on my decalpro FX adventure and would like to know if anyone would have suggestions on the flow of the switches and breakers?

Pictures would be amazing as when I troll the internet, the pics are hard to read the labels.

Thanks,
Dan

First suggestion - write your checklists for the airplane, the order in which you want to do things for all flight phases. Then design the cockpit/panel to follow that flow. Beware - its an iterative process - the cockpit design will inform the checklist, and the checklist will inform the cockpit. Repeat the loops bewteeen the two until they flow together.

I agree with Paul.

In my case, I grouped the switches based on "phase of flight", not starting.

Thus, left to right I have the Taxi light, Landing light, Fuel Pump, Carb heat, Throttle, Mixture, and then Flaps.

I have a throttle quadrant so the flap switch can be operated with the middle finger of the right hand while the hand is resting on the throttle quadrant. In the event of a go-around, you can push the throttle & mixture full forward, thumb on the cab heat pushes that in, and your middle finger can toggle the flaps up, all without moving your hand from the forward position.

Interior lights and cabin heat are way over on the right side. My thinking was that a passenger might activate them in flight and I didn't want them accidently turning something on or off.

My breakers are all over on the right side, with the exception of the alternator breaker, which is directly in front of the pilot.

Way over on the left is the Cessna style split master, left and right igntion toggle switches, and starter button. All are spaced out so it would be difficult to activate one accidently.

You can see pictures of all this on my website, linked below.

THere's lots to this, and good for you for thinking about this while there's still time.
* Grouping according to flight phase is a good idea, but there's more to it. Consider also how much time you have to fuss with the switches. For example, many planes are setup for starting, when you have lots of time. On the other hand, if you need the fuel pump in flight after an engine stoppage, you'll want it to be easy to find -- like at the end of a row. For example, the builder of my RV-8 put the flap and fuel pump switches next to each other above the throttle quadrant, and that's real handy for landing;
* Use spacing to group switches. If you have more than five in a row, rethink it.
* Don't put safe switches and dangerous switches in proximity. An airplane was lost when the pilot thought he was turning on the landing lights but actually put the fuel pump on high, and the big Continental engine quit;
* Look at FAR 23 and comply with standard switch position, shapes, and colors. There's no legal requirement to comply but it's best practice;
* A truly exceptional panel will not draw attention to itself but will instead be as comfortable as an old shoe.
* Design your panel for accessibility and maintenance. Service loops, for example.

Good luck!

Ed

Good thoughts being discussed here. The fuel boost pump at the end of the row and preferably close to the throttle is a good plan in my opinion and the way my airplane is set up.

Ours is a side-by-side cockpit configuration with command from the left seat and a centre throttle/prop/mixture control.

Switches are Honeywell rocker switches (mostly). Configuration is based on grouping by function and flow.

From left to right, the left-most switches (furthest from dominant right hand, throttle hand) are split master, essential bus and avionics master. These are the switches I don't want to mess with in flight. Then there's a spare/blank switch in place for growth potential - it provides a nice break from those switches I use regularly in flight and those over on the left that I don't use regularly in flight.

After the spare switch and continuing to move to the right it's pitot heat, nav lights and strobe lights before getting to the right-most switches which are those used most often/most critically. Taxi light, landing light then, at the far right end, closest to the throttle, is the boost pump.

With about 100 hours on this configuration I have found that it works well for my flow-based style of checklist operation.

What are you going to use the most (switch, control). Where are your hands when flying (control stick, throttle, prop, mixture, occasionally avionics/radio/nav)

Make a full sized poster board mock-up... draw or cut and paste your panel and switches on it... prop it up, sit in a chair and go through "flow" pre start, start, taxi, t/o, climb, cruise, descent, approach, landing, taxi, shutdown.... Spend some time behind the panel mock-up just sitting there (even in living room watching tV). Make changes.... (of course as you mention steal (borrow) ideas from internet....

You have to give some consideration of how you will wire and route controls for ease of construction and maintenance, even if it will not be optimal "human factors" or ergonomics.

For example I will have PTT only on my control stick, that is it (no need for it to be overflowing with switches). My RV-4 had flaps, trim and PTT on stick. It was handy must say, but had to be careful of inadvertent activation... However for wiring I am putting the flap and trim near the throttle for current project. I can always wire later, but simplicity and ease of maintenance is more important consideration for me....

Put ?critical? switches up high and away from other switches so you don?t accidentally turn off master power or ignitions by mistake. I?m not a fan of switchguards though.

I do group mine by flow. Keyswitch, starter, alternator and master switch all together. Fuel pump by throttle and trim rockers.

Don

I like to group switches by function then logical order from left-right.
My switches are:
Aux Bat (above Mstr)
Mstr/Alt-Ign1-Ign2-Start-Avx Mstr-Radio Mstr
Then Lights:
Strobe-Ldg-Nav-Panel

IMG_7793cropped-X3.jpg

Nice panel, well organized switches.

Compare this with what the greatest generation flew!

150805-F-IO108-001.JPG

I guess my point is that no matter what your panel layout, if you train relentlessly, everything will come to hand naturally.

V

chemtrail switch

Just curious, do you guys label your chemtrail switch as "chemtrail", leave it blank, or give it a fake label like "fuel pump"? /s

I know its not an RV - so this is just food for thought - but I ditched my factory kit panel and went with a substructure and "panel of panels" - all my switches are on one panel on the pilots left, grouped by type and my anticipated start and inflight use flow. My breakers are also on a sub panel, grouped by buss, function and priority left to right.
24pcm83.jpg

11jwz8l.jpg

Back