What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dimple lower flange of F-1001A Firewall?

Bushwhacker

Am at page 28-13 step 2, applying Pro-Seal to the bottom flange of F-1001A Firewall Bulkhead before clecoing to the F-1072 fwd fuselage bottom skin, when I noticed that the bottom firewall flange is not dimpled. The bottom skin is dimpled. Shouldn't the bottom firewall flange be dimpled to "nest" with the bottom skin? Went backward in the dwgs to see if I missed something, and then read ahead in the dwgs and found no reference to dimple the bottom firewall flange. What am I missing here?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Dimple

Yes, I had that highlighted in yellow. I assume that implies that the matching holes in the bottom flange of the firewall have to be dimpled to match?

Yes, dimple the mating piece of the firewall. As yiou get further into the fuselage some of the things that were called out in the ealier kits are just assumed that you know what do do.

If my memory serves me correctly, aren't all the holes dimpled, except for the center hole that the bottom cowl bracket attaches to?

Bob, I believe so.

I know some of us have put a nut plate into that center hole as its easy to attach the lower cowl support bracket rather than using a screw and nut in the tight confines.

That's what I did. I also doubled up the bracket (make it "H" shape rather than "U") as it seemed to me it wouldn't last 5 minutes before cracking.......

Back