What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

B&C Voltage Regulators and ANLs

AviatorJ

Well Known Member
I'm putting two B&C alternators on my build. The instructions on the B&C voltage regulators say they should be on the cabin side of the firewall. Is there some reason to put them there or can I say install them on the cabin side, on one of the braces? Or is the cabin side of the firewall best? In the area I put the yellow arrow is what I was thinking... or the one to the right of it.

I'm putting ANLs between the Alternator B-lead and the battery, but for the battery I'm actually putting it on the battery/master contactor side of the Starter contactor. Any issue with this or do I need to run #6 gauge all the way back to the battery contactor? What I don't grasp is when starting the high amperage goes across the line, wouldn't that pop the 60 amp ANL I have for one alt and the 40 ANL I have for the other?

Last edited:
I'm putting two B&C alternators on my build. The instructions on the B&C voltage regulators say they should be on the cabin side of the firewall. Is there some reason to put them there or can I say install them on the cabin side, on one of the braces? Or is the cabin side of the firewall best?

They really mean "install in a cool place".

I'm putting ANLs between the Alternator B-lead and the battery, but for the battery I'm actually putting it on the battery/master contactor side of the Starter contactor.

Diagram please.

They really mean "install in a cool place".

Diagram please.

Thanks, I'll figure out someplace once I crawl under my panel.

Here's the part of my diagram how I'm thinking of incorporating ANLs.

If you click on the picture to open it, click on it again to resize it.

http://www.goodplaneliving.com/fwf-electrical/#

Found my answer on ANLs looking at Ed's build log. Looks like he just tied them off the starter contactor (battery side) and then chained them together. I will do something similar.

I'm a bit confused on the use of Shunts though since he has a VPX. Per the VPX manual, "Since the VP-X provides basically the same information as a shunt installed on the alternator b-lead, our position is that adding a shunt gives you no additional meaningful information."

vpx

The Vpx will read what each load is drawing. The shunt allows you to see what the alternator is actually providing to the system...

Back