What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Phase 1 and high alt

bret

Well Known Member
When I get the test arena outlined by the inspector, will they allow an extended range to a lower altitude for climb, fuel consumption, Ect tests? I will be based at 4731 MSL.

Most, if not all inspectors, will allow this. Just talk with them beforehand and explain your reasoning. Should not be a problem.

My issue was being next to class B airspace, but my DAR worked with me to define a test area with plenty of area to one side of the class B.

It's never been a problem. Make sure you work with your DAR ahead of time so they can create the Operating Limitations taylored to your needs with regards to the test area.

Vic

The FAA in most cases, at least in mine, give us DARs a lot of freedom for Flight test areas as long as we keep it reasonable.

One request that I HAVE denied is for a 1 mile wide corridor from Dallas to Oshkosh.

Just ask for a lot. You might get turned down, but if you only ask for a little, that's what you'll get. I originally had the standard 50 mile radius or whatever it is. Learned shortly after that I could ask for more, so I went back to the FSDO and asked for it to be amended to a 150 mile radius centered on Steven's Point and got it. My test area was most of Wisconsin! :D Fast airplanes need more test area.....

Mel gave me a slightly larger radius for Phase I just so I could include my preferred avionics shop - all you gotta do is ask!

I had to argue with my DAR twice before he loosened up and extended my test circle. When I told him I was climbing to 17,500, right next to Denver international and any complaints they had would be directed to him....he relented and let me get further out.

Don't take the first refusal as set in stone. Explain it to him and then tell him what you need for safety reasons. My original test area was horribly small.

One test I need is fuel burn rate at full power on takeoff at sea level, two, climb rate to clear 50ft, three, take off roll distance, four Oil, head, and EGT temps at sea level takeoff, five, prop RPM at take off... anything else to mention for leverage?

Having just finished a Phase 1 in the same area, here's the problem. The only sea level area you'll find is, obviously, on the other side of the Sierra. Sure, you can request a corridor to get over the hills - but do you REALLY want to be flying over the Sierra in an unproven airplane? With our Tundra testing, we maintained the ability to glide to a safe landing at any time during Phase 1. We did fly over the Carson Range (Heavenly, Genoa Peak, etc) but only with enough altitude to glide back into the Carson or Washoe Valleys. Crossing over to the Central Valley will expose you to some pretty awful places to land, and the highways woudl be....marginal.

Just somethign to consider - until you get some real confidence in the entire power plant system (from fuel cap to prop).

Most of us who have tested RVs out of the Reno area have requested and gotten a 100-mile radius or similar, so if you have the FSDO do your inspection, you should remind them of this. You can also get a bit lower north of Reno on the Smoke Creek desert (down to ~4000 feet) but it probably won't help a lot. As Paul mentioned, going over the mountains early on may not be the best plan. Your engine should break in fine even at Minden altitudes.

my two cents.

Greg

I'm running a 250 hr engine so no need for break in, guess I can do these low altitude numbers later.......

Back