What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Put-in-Bay

A5555

Well Known Member
a hop to the island in Ohio? yes, Ohio has islands.... in Lake Erie!

less than an hour's ride to the island means a good tailwind
3w2_zps7hyybdyl.jpg

DSCN0635_zps4457nhvx.jpg

these dangerous animals are always biting folks, be careful!
DSCN0628_zpsk6q8jsuj.jpg

camo life vest included with ticket.
DSCN0630_zpssqqfgfka.jpg

showing my wife where the sky is... that's where airplanes fly.... I think she understands now. note: she used to be a flight test engineer and has been higher and faster than I ever have.
DSCN0625_zpsctn4jai0.jpg

pretty
DSCN0626_zps6cn5ztlx.jpg

14000 steps that afternoon. a nice day. total trip time 6 hrs with lunch at Old Forge http://theoldforgepib.com/

Last edited:
Put-inBay

Note the Ford Tri Motor on the sign. The islands used be served by Fords flying scheduled service. Kids from the islands flew to school on the mainland in the Ford's. Not in the 30's, much more recently.

Pat Dailey

Steve,

I used to frequent P-I-B back in my crazy youth. Buddies and I would go see Pat Dailey singing at the bars, great memories!

Andi and I went a few year back in the -9A and had a great time as well. It is a beautiful, friendly place!

I was there once in 2012. I had a visitor from Russia and he wanted to see the bay named after his president. :D

Island Airports

Vlad-
Your next assignment, should you choose to accept it, is to land on every island airport in the great lakes.

Great Lakes

To help Vlad prepare for his tentative assignment, how many great lakes have islands and how many of the lakes have island airports?????

To help Vlad prepare for his tentative assignment, how many great lakes have islands and how many of the lakes have island airports?????

I am working on conquering them all Jim. On the Great Lakes I have visited 14 islands with airports and one without. Not many left. :)

Great Lakes

I am working on conquering them all Jim. On the Great Lakes I have visited 14 islands with airports and one without. Not many left. :)
I come up with 16 charted airports. You may know of some that are not on the charts.

Note the Ford Tri Motor on the sign. The islands used be served by Fords flying scheduled service. Kids from the islands flew to school on the mainland in the Ford's. Not in the 30's, much more recently.

Island airlines flew several Fords on scheduled routes until the early70's, but then had couple of accidents and moved on to a Beaver and an Otter for their passenger service.

9729C400-A3B4-4A7A-A8C1-9DB93C9C7A40_zpsgwib4q4s.jpg

Middle Bass Island, perhaps 1971. My brother Mark and I were frequent flyers. Early influences matter, both those little kids went on to become deeply involved in aviation, and RV's. Funny thing, I can't remember where I put my keys five minutes ago, but I can recall the rides on that airplane with amazing clarity.

Vlad, Make sure you don't miss North Fox Island, just opened last year. This is a wilderness island, no population, no buildings, no electricity, no phone service, no emergency services, you get the idea. What it is, an absolutely beautiful grass strip on a small island in the middle of northern Lake Michigan. My son and I visited it a month ago and we were the only people there for the week. Beautiful beaches! Restored and maintained by VAF.

PS: not yet on most charts or even ForeFlight, and don't land on South Fox island, visitors not welcome!!!!! Private and off limits!

Island airlines flew several Fords on scheduled routes until the early70's, but then had couple of accidents and moved on to a Beaver and an Otter for their passenger service.

Middle Bass Island, perhaps 1971. My brother Mark and I were frequent flyers. Early influences matter, both those little kids went on to become deeply involved in aviation, and RV's. Funny thing, I can't remember where I put my keys five minutes ago, but I can recall the rides on that airplane with amazing clarity.
You're not alone. I can remember my first airplane ride around 1954 with amazing clarity. I got to ride the Ford at Rockford EAA several times. I can't remember the price but I do remember a ride in Jerry Walbrun's P51 was $20. I never did the 51.

what a picture!

I come up with 16 charted airports. You may know of some that are not on the charts.

Are you guys counting Canadian islands too? I tried to count, and came up with 12 islands with public use airports on the US side, 11 of which I've been to. We need a uniform list. :)

Islands

I did not count total islands. At least one island has two airports. At least one Canadian airport. 7 airports just in P I B area one is private.

N. FOX ISLAND:
My Girlfriend calls that place "Jurassic Park".
We had an incredible amount of insects swarming around us (July).
Also seen quite a few snakes.
The beach lunch we packed was yummy however.

We had to take a steep sand hill near a cement pad down to the beach area.
IS there any other easier access to the beach???

Vlad, Make sure you don't miss North Fox Island, just opened last year. This is a wilderness island, no population, no buildings, no electricity, no phone service, no emergency services, you get the idea. What it is, an absolutely beautiful grass strip on a small island in the middle of northern Lake Michigan. My son and I visited it a month ago and we were the only people there for the week. Beautiful beaches! Restored and maintained by VAF.

PS: not yet on most charts or even ForeFlight, and don't land on South Fox island, visitors not welcome!!!!! Private and off limits!

We were there end of September and no bugs at all except dragon flies when we left. Also, we only walked to the South beach, a very short walk of a couple hundred feet on a nice path down to the beach.

Everyone keeps asking me about snakes! Didn't see any!

Also, we only walked to the South beach, a very short walk of a couple hundred feet on a nice path down to the beach.

Where was this trail in relation to the runway?
Was there a steep hill down to the beach?

We used to narrow trail(overgrown by weeds) on the southeast side of runway. It was long and curvy. Sounds like it was 4 or 5 times longer than the one you used? Had to climb a steep sand hill down to the water. The beach was directly across from the South Fox Island.

There are trails at each end of the runway. The northeast trail (the runway is more east-west than north-sourth) is a longer hike through the woods, perhaps a quarter mile. The southwest trail is short, as described by Paul, and more commonly used, as it is right next to the camp site. Here is a view looking towards the west. Campsite and short trail are at the far end of the runway.

The Put-in-Bay Visitors & Convention Bureau would like to welcome pilots to our island paradise! We are here to assist you from 8 am to 8 pm daily, and assist you with anything Put-in-Bay Related. Our number should you require assistance is 888-742-7829.

Our airport is open from dawn to dusk and the runway is not lit. We have no fuel service on site and the closest fuel is in Port Clinton PCW airport. When you arrive, the airport is basically in the middle of the island. Most folks here get around on golf carts which are driven like cars. Pilots can reserve them before arrival here.

Should you decide to spend an evening, we have several Put-in-Bay Hotels & Resorts here on the island offering a variety of accommodations. We have a wide variety of restaurants & pubs most with live entertainment.

Should you require any preflight planning or assistance while you are here, please feel free to contact us!

Last edited:
Landed at Put-in-Bay 10 years ago and mostly enjoyed the visit, especially the primary business area and the afternoon parade. What I didn't enjoy was the ramp check that some local FAA FSDO type thought was appropriate to harass pilots with on a Sunday afternoon.

Back